Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there i have had a royal for about a year and he is on a dark brown bark Substrate that i get , but looking at a lot of pictures on here everyone seems to be using a very lighter Substrate , what is the best on too use plaese thanks, by the way the one i am using at the minute seems to be very dusty thanks for any help

·
Registered
380 Posts
try and get one that guarantees no dust, the jury is still out on the best substrate they all have their pros and cons, the best for cleanlieness is newspaper as its practically sterile but it aint much to look at, aspen shavings is ok as long as you feed in a seperate tub and the snake isnt too big as it gets under their scales. i use coconut bark for my biggies like the burm and boas and aspen on my hatchlings and smaller stuff. it also depends on the snakes natural habitat, like my hognose lives in desert country so i use soft play sand.... i could go on but hope this helps

p.s you can get different coloured bark my pet shop had dark brown, light and red
stick with the bark for the royal just get a diff colour if you dont like it

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Personally I think the best stuff to use is aspen, which is a sort of shredded wood product available from rep shops and online.
Bark products tend to be a bit grubby looking and can also harbour mites if you're not careful.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for the quick replies , i know what you mean about the bark looking grubby and as its so dark i have to go hunting for its number two's lol He is only about 2 years old so he aint huge so i might go for the aspen cheers for ya help

·
Registered
380 Posts
if you get the bark from a pet shop it will be clean aspen is easy to use and easy to clean too as snake sh** can be hard to spot at first in bark lol i still prefer bark for the bigger snakes as i found the small compressed aspen would get under the scales sometimes.

·
Registered
380 Posts
no doubt, i have a lot of temporary guests as i take in rescue and problem reptiles and rehome them so i would spend a fortune on substrates and spend all day treasure hunting in the vivs so i just use newspaper in those ones its easy to replace and its clean but it looks crap lol

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I use the 'Repti-bark' which is thge dust free heat treated stuff so ensures there is no dust or nasty little organisms hiding in any of it.

I started off using Aspen but as mentioned before you have to be careful when feeding that bits don't stick to the food. This happened to me when the snake moved off the paper on top and rolled the fuzzy in aspen. I had to take it off him (not very easy for either of us) as I was so scared of hiim ingesting some and he was only small.

The other problem I found with Aspen, apart from it not looking very good on the floor of what should look like a jungle, is that it doens't hold moisture for very long at all. I would spray it and shortly after get a humidity spike which would then come down within a few hours back to original.

The reptibark seems to absorb moisture and release it slowly giving a more even humidity for a longer time.

I suppose it really depends on its application.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
rossthedon said:
aspen shavings is ok as long as you feed in a seperate tub
I am not picking at all, becaue your post was very good, Im just adding a point to the benefits of Aspen shavings, in that this type of substrate is digestible. I feed my royal in her viv, with the aspen shavings, although I do put the mice on her brick (she loves it when 'sloughing'), but i dont have to worry if she decides to take her dinner for a walk! Aspen gets my vote, although I didnt think about larger specimins getting the stuff stuck under scales.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
but one thing i am getting bothered by is that if Sal is soaking, and comes out to lie on the aspen, it gets wet, and doesn't seem to dry. Royals are heavy beasties that pack all the aspen down, so the air doesn't get in to dry it out once wet. I try to 'fluff' it, but it is stil wet. And wet conditions are not good conditions.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
So will even small snakes (say 18 inches long) be able to digest the larger pieces of aspen if swallowed??

Some of those shavings are still pretty big for a small snake and I wouldn't fancy letting mine eat any.

Prehaps I just worry too much.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I am not going to influence your decision. I dont want to be responsible if anything goes wrong!

I had bark in a viv once, and my wee corn ingested a bit of bark that got stuck to the pinky, which cause a blockage. not nice. snake died, but there were other factors involved I think. Anyways, thats when I moved to aspen, and *touches wood* there have been no problems thus far. It is suplied as "biodegradable and easily digestible". So I, perhaps naively, believe them.

If you are not sure, why not stick to newspaper for a while?

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
As my royals are the only snakes that feed in their vivs I use jay cloths in their vivs... easy to clean and no problems with ingestion of substrate.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I need something. But for a start, I need the front opening viv I ordered to arrive. Sal doesn't like me approaching from above with food or to handle her. I dont think any snakes like it really.

Back to the subject. Yes, some kind of cloth at feeding time is a thought...

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Its the best thing for royals imo... no worries of aspen being swallowed and is quite humid when need be.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was told to feed royal in a seprate tub when i got her and he expects it now he will climb straight in there lol so there is no fear of him digesting aspen with his food

1 - 18 of 18 Posts