Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Just got back from rep shop getting a couple days supply of locusts for my 2 beardies and come across this. Now, the pics dont really show the colour properly but if anybody has watch Only Fools and Horses and remembers the episode with the Run Way paint....well it was that colour,

and this how all the others look

·
Registered
674 Posts
i know the episode your on about :2thumb:

no idea why they look like that tho?

Joe

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Ive had the odd locust like that before. I just thought it was albino or something. looked like Sammy enjoyed it just the same.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Hi folks,

Just got back from rep shop getting a couple days supply of locusts for my 2 beardies and come across this. Now, the pics dont really show the colour properly but if anybody has watch Only Fools and Horses and remembers the episode with the Run Way paint....well it was that colour,

and this how all the others look

A NEW MOPRH OF LOCUST :gasp: QUICK BUY ANOTHER ONE FOR £500 AND BREED LIKE MAD TO START A NEW CRAZE AND CHARGE LOADS FOR FUNKY FEEDERS!
No idea why it's like that

·
Registered
633 Posts
Freshly shed?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
locusts are a strange animal that have envoked many studies.

They change colour according to proximity to other locusts, this one will be a loner...lol

seriously though it a weird reaction, if they are bunched up in swarms they turn darker.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
A NEW MOPRH OF LOCUST :gasp: QUICK BUY ANOTHER ONE FOR £500 AND BREED LIKE MAD TO START A NEW CRAZE AND CHARGE LOADS FOR FUNKY FEEDERS!
No idea why it's like that
You joke but....

I get through about 20 tubs of live food a week and every now and the. (very rarely) I get a jet black locust with red eyes and like green bands. I decided to keep one back and bring it to adulthood and wait for another and do the same with the intention of breeding it to see if it was indeed genetic! Sad I know but I was curious and wanted to have a crack at breeding locusts.

Anyway....much to my dissapointment on it's final moult, I went a sort of s**t brown colour! A lot darker than the regular locusts but not jet black anymore! It was sorta like it had been to the Bahamas for a couple of weeks and caught a tan.

I'm waiting for the other one to have it's final moult now to see if it does the same (it's a bit darker). Still going to try and breed them anyway for the hell of it!

·
Registered
22,890 Posts
The black ones are almost always black because they're a different species to the yellow ones.

Black ones are Locusta migratoria, the migratory locust. Migratory locust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The yellow ones are Schistocerca gregaria, the desert locust. Desert locust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The green one is a "solitary" S. gregaria - if they don't have much contact with other locusts, they develop differently than ones in a swarm.

Looks like the Migratories have a green "solitary" form too.

Tombo, your black locust looks like it might be a melanistic S. gregaria... so you might well have a morph :D

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Here you go....

This is the best one I have at the moment. the best one I DID have (Bright lime green bands!) is now a full adult and looks crap!

Before....

After....

The lime green one the OP posted is a new one on me though, never seen it before!

Haha genius, and it does actually look quite cool (the molt before last) :lol2:
I've tried breeding locust and failed miserably, not sure if it was because they were bought as adults so were already old, the cold when shipped or from just bad husbandry
I've turned to roaches now, no morphs there :( :lol2:

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I was hoping they were melanistic and thus genetic and saw it as a good incentive to experiment with breeding locusts. I think it would be pretty cool if I managed to breed my locusts and they were all black! it may even be possible to seperate the darkest ones and breed those to produce even darker ones. watch this space!

Im thinking about charging around £200 each for them.....

any takers?

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
lol my leos say they all taste the same - yum!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
ok i was gunna start my own thread but ill ask it in here since everyone is kicking off about them lol, when im picking them up to pull thier legs off what is the stuff they bleed from thier faces? and why do they do it? anyone know?

·
Premium Member
14,592 Posts
AFAIK Its black spit and it tastes nasty - its designed to stop predators from eating them. It doesn't work very well lol.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
If you're going to breed them, don't forget to come up with a silly name - and drop in lots of pseudo-genetic gobbledygook. If you do this, you'll make a fortune!:lol2:

Tombo's got the right idea. How about a "hypo melanistic het Tombo Locust"?

I'm sure it doesn't matter if the words don't make any sense - someone will want them!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
i had a full bag of them over xmas that were all yellow really but i thought it was because they left in the sorting office because of the snow. they arrived 2 and a half weeks late and i thought the colour change was due to being locked up in a dark place for so long :blush:

dam i was wrong :lol2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts