Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello :D iv been offerd a 5 or 6 ft "tank" off my mums boyfriend and was wondering what snake you lot think would go nicly in it :p this wont be until after christmas to give me some time to read up thanks rob.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
TAIWAN BEAUTY!!!

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Good shout, one way or another, you'd need an adult snake to put in a tank like that. It could be a nice gesture to rehome an unwanted taiwanese, boa, etc, who may be in need of a large viv to live in.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Can I just ask...Do you mean 'tank' as in glass tank, or 'tank' as in viv? :lol:

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
is it a glass tank or a viv? if its a glass tank i would say no snake,they are not suitable for snakes, fill it with fish.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm good point i dont no yet lol havnt seen it he just said he had one i can have not even sure what he kept in it :lol:

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
markhill said:
is it a glass tank or a viv? if its a glass tank i would say no snake,they are not suitable for snakes, fill it with fish.
as i already said not sure what it is yet but.. im interested in why you beleave its not suitable to put a snake in a glass tank?.. somthing to do with temps? or stressed.. cheers Rob.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
its hard to keep correct temps/ humidity in glass tanks and unless you completly enclose at least three sides the snake will feel very insecure. it can be difficult to securley fasten a top to a glass tank especially a 6 foot tank which would house a very big powerful snake, and lastly you would have to approach the snake from the top and they hate it as thats how preditors would approach them in the wild, cant think of any more reasons at the moment but any one else feel free.

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh right okey dokey thanks :D

1. i could tint the class from the inside so i can see in but it cant see out but yeah i see your point

2. yeah i wouldnt want a big snake see'in me as a preditor :shock:

so looks like im going to scrap that idea lol

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
tinting the glass would make it into a mirror and would create a new problem, i guess its a gless tank then?

·
Registered
597 Posts
glass tanks are fine, ive never had a problem with a snake in a glass tank, takes a little more effort to get the humidity right but it can be done

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oooooooo i was hoping this wouldnt happend lol now need more people to give their opinion loads of people have looked but not many replyin!

·
Registered
597 Posts
heres idea too, if you want like a baby boa or snake that is small but will grow larger you can always make the cage smaller, add a divider to it, which isnt hard to do, then as long as it has a nice hide or 2, so when the snake wants some alone time he can go hide :)

my choices of snake would be

Red Tail Boa
Brazilian Rainbow Boa
dwarf retic
Argie boa

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dwarf retic :shock: i swear i read that they still get 14 ft :shock: probly wrong tho :p

·
Registered
257 Posts
you could keep a snake in it, i would cover the the back and sides. but keep in mind that if you decide to keep a snake in it you are going to have a very hard time keeping temps. and humidity right and you may get fed up with it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I find that when snakes are keep in ex fish tanks they always escape as you can never secure the lid well enough.What about a lizard?

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm yeah maybe will post this up in lazard section aswell :p

.. not in any rush so got plenty of time to decide :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts