Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really interested in what everyone's first ever reptile sighting was in the wild - UK or abroad.

This comes from finding a sand lizard this evening on heathland in South Devon - MY FIRST EVER REPTILE SIGHTING :2thumb:. They're stunning creatures. I'm really excited as I hear they're the rarest native reptile in the UK! I didn't realise that there had been a reintroduction programme in 1994 in the area. The ironic thing is I was looking for adders which are publicised on the site and didn't see any :whistling2: and ended up seeing the sand lizard which I was totally not expecting!

·
Registered
7,900 Posts

·
Registered
7,900 Posts

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Saw a grass snake when I was young. Since then all I've seen in the wild are a couple of common lizards at Dungeness Natioal Nature Reserve.

·
Registered
7,900 Posts
Saw a grass snake when I was young. Since then all I've seen in the wild are a couple of common lizards at Dungeness Natioal Nature Reserve.
I remember my first grass snake we caught it in a bottle and told everyone we had an adder. Released it later that day back where we found it

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
First has go to be the slow worm at the end of my grandad's garden, hardly in a natural habitat though, they were all in the compost bin, breeding like rabbits :2thumb:
Apparently there is a place near me with adders, grass snakes and lizard species so i'm going to have to go there soon when I get my ring flash for macro photography :2thumb:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Lots lots lots of slow worms at one place. :2thumb:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
When I was a kid we went to Florida on holiday. While driving to Kennedy Space Center saw a couple of gators just off the roadside! Needless to say at that age I just prayed we didn't get a flat :lol2:

Funny enough I can't ever recall seeing a reptile in Britain :sad:

·
Registered
71,221 Posts
i was around eight years old... saw a rough green snake in a bush... in kentucky... i just watched it as it sat there looking back at me... didn't try to catch it...

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
my first was a adder in the new forest when i was about 10, then a grasssnake in my grandads fish pond, scared the :censor: out of me coming out the pond weed when i was fishing about in it lol

we used to have common lizards, sloworms and grass snakes in the fields behind my house but they built on the little patch we used to find them :bash:

·
Registered
270 Posts
Box Turtle, saw them a lot and had 1 at the age of 7 then 3 at the age of 10. Got my first lizard (2 Bearded Dragons) when I was 13

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, I have a confession to make. In the excitement of finding the sand lizard it totally left my mind that I also used to find slow worms when I was a kid :blush:

I guess this is quite an open ended question really.

Also depends if your counting phibs
Sure, why not!

:lol2:when i was about 15 years old i seen my 1st Trouser Snake does that count :whistling2::Na_Na_Na_Na:
Lol, let's not go down that road! :grin1:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I seem to remember always being fascinated by those tiny wall lizards found in most of the warmer parts of Europe. One of my first memories was trying to catch them when on holiday in France -thankfully the little buggers were far too fast for the grubby fingers of a curious 4 year old! :p
In the UK all I've seen in the wild is the bad tempered terrapin that lives in my local park pond! Though there are supposedly loads of adders around where I live -my ma sees them all the time.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Slow worms in the cemetary next door to my house when I was a kid, and little lizards on holiday in France, no idea what they were though. Apart from that, Mum used to let me go into Ron's Reptile's in Norwich when we were waiting for the bus - that's where I fell in love with reptiles. The experience was made all the more pleasant by the fact that my sister hated it :D

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
iv had a few sightings of reptiles but only because i used to visit oz a lot when i was a kid. not sure what my first one was but my first memory of seeing one was a brown snake keeping itself cool in my uncles engine with onlt its tail just hanging out. when he phone the snake guy to move it i was always amazed just to see him grab it by the tail and pull it it out and throw it in a bag. i always remeber saying to the guy i thought they were venomous and the guy turned round to me and said "na mate there only venomous if they bite ya" :lol2:

also saw saw what i thought were bearded dragons until now i know more and realise that for where we were it was pogona barbata.

all iv saw in the uk though was a female adder but never knew what it was til i saw a pic on here a few months ago. ill never forget seeing that black and white striped thing lifting its head at me. im just glad i was only about 10 and a bit of a pussy at that time :lol2: or that could of been nasty

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
when i was about 8 me and my brother spent 2 weeks catching lizards in spain . we saw a snake and i nearly pooped myself one of the best holidays ive been on

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Sand lizard was my first followed by slow worms.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is looking like my first lizard sighting was NOT a sand lizard after all.

I managed to take these photos today. I guess we’re looking at a common lizard of the green variety. This one sat and posed for me for 5 or 10 minutes. The one I saw the other day only gave me 2 or 3 seconds. Certainly makes a difference when trying to identify species.

Oh well, we live and learn!
:blush:

If anyone more experienced wants to shed any light on the little stunner below feel free. Get a loada that tail patterning - awesome!

Cheers : victory:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts