Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have bought a fire eel to go into my new tank ( http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/fish-keeping/432903-fluval-roma-240-a.html ). he is about 6-8" long. the fish shop where i got him are looking after him for me until the tank is set up (i bought him early because he was the last one) and they are feeding him on bloodworm but i dont know how much and how often?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I dont have any fish atm, but when I was at college when feeding the fish we'd just offer like a pinch or two of bloodworm, if that got eaten just offer a little more etc until they lost interest.
Best thing to do though is to ask the shop :)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
hi, i have bought a fire eel to go into my new tank ( http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/fish-keeping/432903-fluval-roma-240-a.html ). he is about 6-8" long. the fish shop where i got him are looking after him for me until the tank is set up (i bought him early because he was the last one) and they are feeding him on bloodworm but i dont know how much and how often?
Thanks.
You don't need to worry yourself, it wont suddenly die, it would go weeks/months before it died if it didnt eat. just start with bloodworm and once it gets eating well then try and get it to eat from your hand. that way you can make sure it gets a good belly full without having to tip tons of food in your tank. They get used to you and once will come to your hand for food once it knows thats what to do. Its cool having fish that eat from your hand. If you feed it well it should grow, they can potentially grow to about 3 foot but then again it might not get any bigger than it is now. try freeze dried tubifix too. i had a spiny eel that used to eat that from my hand.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I feed him some grated heart (about a heaped teaspoon i'd estimate) every other night. I get a couple from the butchers (beef or any other sort will do really) and keep them in the freezer. I do pop some bloodworm in every evening as i have a ghost knife and elephant nose that like to eat at night too, and i'm sure he gets some of that daily too!
Hope that helps:2thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts