Reptile Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a normal male boa 100%het for albino and a Salmon female pos het for super salmon.I am thinking of breeding from them and wondered if any one could give me some idea of what type of babys they will produce?I am a beginner so any other advice on breeding boas would be greatly recieved.

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
hi seems everybody is ignoring this one!

firstly, it is impossible to be het for super salmon. the salmon gene, is a codominant hypomelanistic gene. therefore a salmon boa is a boa with 1 normal gene and one hypomelanistic gene. a super salmon is a boa with 2 hypomelanistic genes and no normal genes. these two can be difficult to tell apart and so in breedings where offspring could be both salmon and super salmon they are all collectively termed possible super salmon. i believe this is what you have.

so, back to business. your male is heterozygous for albinism, which is a recessive gene. as a result you need 2 recessive genes to make it a visual. your salmon does not have this, so there will be no visual albino traits emerging from this pairing. below are the 2 possible options of offspring you could get:

if the female is a salmon:

25% salmon het albino (DH sunglow)
} you cannot tell the differance, so these would be salmon 50% poss dh sunglow
25% salmon

25% het albino
} as above, these would be 50% het albino
25% normal

should the female be a super salmon then you will get the same ratio of het albino's - 50% but you will get 100% salmons. therefore the offspring would all be salmon50% poss dh sunglow

hope this helps,

Alex

·
Registered
15,628 Posts
probably best not cluttering it here. i myself am a relative newbie to breeding boa's, there are alot of significantly more knowledgeable individuals on this forum that may be able to help further but if you have any questions i will answer them for you if i know the answer!

Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.