Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Im getting back into my insects, bugs & reptiles.
used to have a baby iguana for yrs ive had giant african snails & had the odd millipede.
Ive decided to get a few Millipedes bought them of exotic-pets.co.uk
should arrive this week.
Ive got a large tetra glass tank for them with a small heat matt for a slight bit of heat as room temperture is fine anyway.
Im thinking of getting another tank and getting a lizard not sure what though bein lookin alot on web sites and shops. And sort of narrowed it down to a beardie or iguana. my friend have several beardies and many babys have been born they also have several chamoleons which i really like think their fasinating which id like to get BUT read alot there not ideal 1st lizard to get.
So please can some give me some help in what they recomend from the experiances
Many thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nope chameleons are definatly not ideal first lizards due to the lack of forgivness they give for the owner making mistakes.
I wouldn't reccomend an iggy either as they are really not good pets for the common lizard keeper, some people enjoy them but if you want a generally nice, easy lizard that can be handled and reaches a decent size go for a beardie :wink:
Hope that helps

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a baby iguana yrs ago and was one lively lizard.
Y people say there not ideal? i like the idea of how big it can get and can watch it grow and think their fairly interesting to watch.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
I dont think theres anything wrong in getting a iguana as a first lizard as long as you know what your getting yourself into and have done your research into care and housing fully. Why not go for a adult iguana that needs rehoming.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I agree that iguanas 'can' make great 1st reptiles, BUT only with ALOt of research and dedication. You'll need to make sure you can house it all its life (can get up to 6ft in some cases) make sure you can provide it the right care (correct temps, UV requirememts, food, supplements) and TIME: i think thats one of the main reasons there not recommended. Geckos and stuff you can put in a cage and sort out there requirements and thats it. personally i dont like it but thats the way some people are, and they do fine. Iggys however need time and bonding so they dont ingure you or themselves. They can get very big and have a mean bite, not to mention tail whipping.

If you want an iggy, i would get someone exerienced with full grown ones to teach you how to handle and care for them, its not just about reading caresheets unfortunatly, but getting hands on training.

good luck!! I'd have a rhino iggy if i had the space, but i dont yet so im not getting one till i do!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
dwgp77 said:
I had a baby iguana yrs ago and was one lively lizard..
hang on... what happened to that one?

·
Registered
83 Posts
as a iguana mummy myself i agree that anyone wanting to share there life with an iguana must be ready to dedicate alot of time and effort to it like having a kid they love attention well mine does (daughter and iguana) before thinking about there impressive size think can you afford to buy fruit and veg regulary can you afford the insure your iguana?? its not cheap not to mention the size of viv they need and an experienced handler, personally i'd recommend going for something alittle more basic like a leopard gecko or maybe a beardie not that they are 100% easy to keep if done properly anyhow research and you'll find the lizard that suits you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts