Reptile Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally got permission to built a new house for my beardies. Which means that i can build a large stack. This means new big vivs.

Size will depend on my choice of new resident.

So the question is, if space is not a limit (within reason) what lizard would you recommend?

Personally looking into monitors or tegus. But any suggestions would be good

Cheers

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Recommended first-time monitors are ackies - they have all the monitor personality but are smaller than savs and niles and can be kept in trios.

I've got a Sav and minimum recommended viv is 8x4x4 as they like 1-2 ft topsoil/sand/mulch to burrow into. They also eat a lot - lots of insects required apparently some go off them in favor of rodents but best to keep up insect intake as it's good exercise. Very high basking temp (I know some who keep basking spot of 160 degrees). Definitely more challenging than a beardie they only tolerate (and sometimes not that) handling. If you see a "tame" baby sav in a pet shop it's likely sick.

I've never kept tegus but know people who have - Argentinian (not Colombian) B&W are the recommended ones there though as they have a mellower personality. Again, very large enclosure needed. This is next on my "most wanted reptile" list.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
we have true argentinian black n white tegus very friendly and easy to handle(and can be quite funny to watch) our enclosure is being built as we speak (and its gonna be huge ) at the mo they are in a 8ft x 4ft x 4ft
i would defo recomend tegus :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not after something on the same level as beardies for tameness. But nothing psycotic. Pref. in the 2ft to 5ft region

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I saw some Storrs monitors for sale on here (and reptileclassifieds too i think) recently and i like the look of those. Smaller than alot of monitors too apparatly, and very pretty.

May be worth looking into?

·
Registered
77 Posts
By 2ft to 5ft do you mean the size of the lizard or the viv?? If you mean the size of the lizard a bosc is realistic as they get about 3-5ft with the very exceptional cases reaching 6ft or so. Ackies are pretty cool, they get about 2ft long and from what I have heard aren't too bad temperment wise.
Away from monitors there are lots of slightly larger lizards such as water dragons, frilled dragons, blue tounge skinks ect..
Good luck with what ever you choose :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts