Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
heat mat.
they arent sun lovers, they are noctoral, they soak up the heat left on the ground from the day....

they soak of heat through their belly of the floor.

·
Registered
607 Posts
As said above, they get their heat from their underside, so heat mat.

With leos, lights are only usually used so you can see them at night when it's dark.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i think spending over 200 quid already means i can afford them. all i asked was whether it was ok to use a heat lamp untill i get a heat mat if iwant to. no need to say that really was there :p

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
well you said u needed to wait until you get paid, if you have paid 200 whats a tenner eh? :)

lol
well i think spending over 200 quid already means i can afford them. all i asked was whether it was ok to use a heat lamp untill i get a heat mat if iwant to. no need to say that really was there :p

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it means im skint untill i get paid i spent all my wages well not all of them but what i had left to get a nice viv for him/her. all i wanna know is it the lamp gonna be ok for now

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
just borrow a tenenr of somone, no poitn in messing the gecko around :)
it just gets used to light, then gets swapped if you get me?
it means im skint untill i get paid i spent all my wages well not all of them but what i had left to get a nice viv for him/her. all i wanna know is it the lamp gonna be ok for now

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
not really mate. A heat lamp wont really do a leao any good, it will be warm during the day when the leo is sleep and cold and night when the leo is out.

The only way you could pull it off is if you had a pieces of slate directly untder the lamp and made sure that it got nice and warm and kept the heat most of the night so that the leo can use it for belly heat during the night.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
surely there is people who keep them with heat lamps perfectly fine the heat lamp heats the substrate nicely .

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
you spent 200 on a leo, omg. You can get complete set ups for under 100 including a leo.
Where, damnit why didnt i get that... ours was over 200 the leos were like 150 at least and the set up about 120 or so.

Heat mats are better and only around 10-20 quid, tho you will need a mat or pulse stat for it too which is the expensive part. If its heating it i cant see much of a problem but i have never used a bulb so no idea... sorry

What morph of leo are you getting? Is it just one or two or more? Dont forget to post us some pics when they arrive :)

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
Leopard geckos are nocturnal

means they are out at night time

when the sun is away....

they then soak up the heat, from the floor...

heat mats are better, and cheaper, and use less electricity :)

surely there is people who keep them with heat lamps perfectly fine the heat lamp heats the substrate nicely .

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
not really mate. A heat lamp wont really do a leao any good, it will be warm during the day when the leo is sleep and cold and night when the leo is out.

The only way you could pull it off is if you had a pieces of slate directly untder the lamp and made sure that it got nice and warm and kept the heat most of the night so that the leo can use it for belly heat during the night.
i have set it like that rock underneath for it to bask it is also a re bulb so the light is not a problem

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
read the above post mate. I dont know any one, breader or shop that keep a leo succesfully with just a light.

a light heats the substrate yest but it will lose all the heat incredably quickly before the leo can use it, the only way as stated above of doing it is by heating up a piece of slate, but its not ideal.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Leopard geckos are nocturnal

means they are out at night time

when the sun is away....

they then soak up the heat, from the floor...

heat mats are better, and cheaper, and use less electricity :)
yes but u are not listening lol. a heat lamp is heating the subsrate and rock up it is a red light, not detectable by leos and it is on all the time unless thermostat turns it off

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
hmm i can see the problem here... leos dont bask either they just like to sleep in the warm bit in a hide all day and run around in it at night.

·
Registered
31,364 Posts
and your not listening to me!!! lol

most people will say the same as me, i have many leos, and ...

i give up.

get a heat mat when you get a tenner, you have the thermostat , all you got to do is plug it in.

post pics when you get the leos..

good luck

Gina

yes but u are not listening lol. a heat lamp is heating the subsrate and rock up it is a red light, not detectable by leos and it is on all the time unless thermostat turns it off

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
i have set it like that rock underneath for it to bask it is also a re bulb so the light is not a problem
it has to be a flat rock so that the leo can lay on it safly and large enought so that the leo can move around on it and isnt stuck in one place.

personally you dont want any light on at night, and dont forget if you are leving a lgiht on at night, how are you getting the temperature drop at night??

1 - 20 of 34 Posts