Reptile Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats involved in working in a rep shop? do you need any A levels etc. and how old would i need to be etc.

thanks,

luke

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
You usually need to be 16 for insurance and stuff, a good knowledge of reptiles and the care is essential as is being able to talk to customers.
The hardest thing in my opinion is finding a shop with a vacancy!

We currently have over 30 CVs at the shop that have been handed in 'in case' we get a vacancy come up. The last one was the one I got - two years ago!

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ohh lol ill give it a bash when im 16 anyway:)

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
me?? derbyshire/nottinghamshire

·
Registered
577 Posts
i worked in one for a while, i just got to know the owner through being a customer, he needed an extra set of hands and he knew i had a pretty good knowledge of the animals, he asked me if i wanted a job,

i hated it tbh, working with reptiles turned looking after my own reptiles into a chore, i'd spent all day cleaning vivs and filling water bowls so the last thing i wanted to do when i got home was sort my reps, anyway, i lasted 6 months, now im just a freind of the owner although i still get staff discount which is cool,

anyway, just be careful of what you wish for, sometimes turning a hobby into a job doesnt turn out as much fun as you'd think

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
yeah its not all fun and games working in a shop there is a lot more to it then just playing with reps all day. i used to keep lizards until i started working in a shop but like kwiky says after doing it all day the last thing you want to do when you get home is more cleaning out. now i just keep snakes as there not as time consuming.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
what so its crap?

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
ally - is that your current one or the possible new one - looking for a part time job at the moment you see!
Where I am... If the new one gets sorted I'll not have a penny to pay anyone...!

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
it's not crap it's just you work all day cleaning vivs taking out shit filling water bowls, serving annoying customers and sorting non feeding snakes, putting out deliveries sorting out more annoying customers that think you can keep a gecko in the fridge or sumin. then you come home and have to carry it on. it grates very quickly. unless you have a real desire to help people you won't want to do it forever.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
i do agree with some of that some customers are just idiots and plain stupid but there are loads of good points to. it all depends what sort of person you are really you will either love it or hate it. i personlally love it wouldnt change it for the world but i still have my days where i could just neck someone

1 - 13 of 13 Posts