Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious on what peoples weekly spend is on their beardie?
Just so I know if I'm paying too much I can shop around for better prices in future

·
Registered
94 Posts
|I can average between 5-30 pound, depending on what we're getting.

·
Registered
13,305 Posts
Beardies can be quite pricy to keep bug wise, as they can eat so much....which is why its a good idea to start a dubia roach colony to cut your bug bill plus then you know exactly what is going into your dragon nutrition wise.....as you will be able to feed the dubs all the good stuff your dragon needs :)

Reactions: Outback Breeders

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Id say around 15 a week on food. Then heat bulbs pop alot so always have one in back up. Then you need multi vits, calcium dust, and we also use veg dust.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Well a month before I brought George, I got myself 120 mixed Dubia roaches. It was £6 for 20, or £10 for 120? Lol! Yeah, work that one out. They are breeding like mad so when it comes to live food now I don't really worry about it. Just on the occasion when I want to treat him to some Calci-Worm or Butter worms or something.

When it comes to his fruit and veg, I never really think im spending money specifically for him, its just what people eat generally in the house. Apart from Spring Greens really, which I specifically buy for him, that is 90p from Asda which lasts up to a week and a half.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Well a month before I brought George, I got myself 120 mixed Dubia roaches. It was £6 for 20, or £10 for 120? Lol! Yeah, work that one out. They are breeding like mad so when it comes to live food now I don't really worry about it. Just on the occasion when I want to treat him to some Calci-Worm or Butter worms or something.

When it comes to his fruit and veg, I never really think im spending money specifically for him, its just what people eat generally in the house. Apart from Spring Greens really, which I specifically buy for him, that is 90p from Asda which lasts up to a week and a half.
I even use our beardies spring greens cut into thin strips and add to curry same as there peppers, onions, carrots, corriander :lol2: rest of veg we use everyday also

·
Banned
61,457 Posts
I'll spend about a tenner on crickets which lasts a couple of weeks - leo and cresties. and the corn is on pinkies and I got about 15 when i got the snake. and a bag of CGD lasts ages...

so very little!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Around £6 on his locusts, and a extra £2 for any other pot I need (if I need more morios, millworms, was worms etc), and probably around £10 on greens per week :)

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have 2 bearded dragons both approx 2 years old

2x leo geckos breeding pair

I pay £8 per week thats 2x crickets 2x locusts i but 1 of each on a Monday again on a Thursday.

Locusts are eating first as i find these hard to look after lol

Crickets i feed them daily with frozen veg + calcium and nutrobal.

so do last longer than locusts.

The odd wee ki but extra food with wax worms yet im thinking of trying dubia roaches.

·
Registered
502 Posts
For got to mention island special mixed green leafs £1 a week i freeze them and get out day before to defrost and the yeat them fine. My beardies seem to eat greens every 2 days so i do this every 2 days now and none go to waste now.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I found a little garden centre near to me which breeds it own locust so i've been going to them as they're cheaper than anywhere else local to me and I can see then being fed fresh veg/salad and the conditions they are kept in are great medium are 35p each or 10 for £3 and large locust are 45p each or 10 for £4 which compared to the ones bought in the little boxes that don't get fed or have room to move I happily buy these as I would only breed them that way myself..

Probably £10-15 a week on live food and maybe £5 on Salad and veg but like most people we eat what salad we feed our beardies and so do my live food, only other outlay might be treats say wax worms or fruit beetle grubs which can be a few quid

Stu

·
Registered
22 Posts
On just my bearded dragon i spend minimum £14 on locusts
About £2 on mealworms and then around £5 on fruit and veg

then theres additional vitamin/calcium dusts plus bug grubs for the locusts and cleaning supplies
since he is only on card as a substrate so i do a complete clean out every week

so thats my usual spend a week for my beardie

but then ive also got my leopard geckos and blue tongue skink to pay for

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found a little garden centre near to me which breeds it own locust so i've been going to them as they're cheaper than anywhere else local to me and I can see then being fed fresh veg/salad and the conditions they are kept in are great medium are 35p each or 10 for £3 and large locust are 45p each or 10 for £4 which compared to the ones bought in the little boxes that don't get fed or have room to move I happily buy these as I would only breed them that way myself..

Probably £10-15 a week on live food and maybe £5 on Salad and veg but like most people we eat what salad we feed our beardies and so do my live food, only other outlay might be treats say wax worms or fruit beetle grubs which can be a few quid

Stu
Wow! 35p each box of locust
i pay £2 each box of locust!
sometimes more if i go to the more bigger pet stores

·
Registered
88 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
I spend around £7 a week on food and about £6 a fortnight for a big bag of moss.

So much cheaper than what my Mrs pays for the 2 cats!

Reactions: Jebb
1 - 20 of 23 Posts