Reptile Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have my female bosc eating out of my hand and smelling me without hissing and i can stroke her while she eats but what is the next step, i dont wanna rush it and lose a coupke of weeks work?

any 1 got any good ideas?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
see if you can eventually get her to climb on your arm. maybe using food to get her there.
your doing better than me (lucky bugger:p)

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
hehe yeh thats brilliant but i dont feed don out of my hand, i read somewhere its not advisable because they can miss the food and bite your hand and such, which would definatly bloody hurt if it happened. You want to watch out with this technique as they start to mature cuz they seem to get alot more boisterous :grin1:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah i use tweezers with mine, just prosumed nc-duk-alike did that too. wouldn't feed from my hand :S

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
i put dons with a dish. I'm all for him seeing that my hand is the one that feeds and everything but i like him to see his food goes in the bowl and thats where he should go to eat. Until you've been bit by a bosc Dons size though u realise you shouldnt take unneccessary risks. I was lucky he got me through my jumper and not directly my flesh.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
When I was feeding Savariano today he had some worms in a dish and I tempted him out with them and got him to sit on my lap eating out the dish (which was on the floor between my legs). So I had Sav perched on my lap and could rub his belly and back, or anywhere - he didn't care so long as the food was there - all monitors have a one-track mind :lol2:

Be aware - they'll never love you, only tolerate you.

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
hehe yeh dons fine to have a pat on the back whilst he's eating his worms aswell. On the note of never loving you though, i once met a lady and a man in the local pet shop who had a bosc, and she was severely mentally impaired, and she had a photo of herself with her bosc in her arms like a baby having its tummy tickled. Obviously a highly tolerant bosc but it seemed to be really enjoying the attention from it, maybe this could be classed as love? Seemed happy to me anyway, which don would let me tickle him like that.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
how big does a bosc get? I just looked up google coz i didnt really know what one was :oops:

Are they big? or just big teeth?

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
on average around 4ft. their teeth are quite big :D

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
lol Dons 28 inches long and still growing. If you type savannah monitor into google you should get some better pictures of adult boscs.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
oooooo i llike them already!!!

"Savannahs are reputed to be intelligent lizards and, as with many reptiles (and other animals) with lots of time on their hands, they spend some time every day trying to escape. Once out, they will cheerfully tear your house apart climbing around, looking for that perfect hiding place--some place very dark, very tight, and very difficult for you to get to. Vents and other access into the walls and major appliance are kid's play to these monitors." (Website, Savannah Monitors)

COOL!

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
oooooo i llike them already!!!

"Savannahs are reputed to be intelligent lizards and, as with many reptiles (and other animals) with lots of time on their hands, they spend some time every day trying to escape. Once out, they will cheerfully tear your house apart climbing around, looking for that perfect hiding place--some place very dark, very tight, and very difficult for you to get to. Vents and other access into the walls and major appliance are kid's play to these monitors." (Website, Savannah Monitors)

COOL!

haha that is so true, ours bashed the back of its viv off the other day to escape :bash:

·
Registered
13,813 Posts
oh dear....

good luck taming ur bosc, doin a good job, nothing wrong wih feeding from hands, just be carful.

·
Registered
13,846 Posts
yea hes a bad one is don. Hes taken to tearing down his backing too. good job hes a sweetie out his viv or he would be in a pot of stew by now :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
hehe yeh dons fine to have a pat on the back whilst he's eating his worms aswell. On the note of never loving you though, i once met a lady and a man in the local pet shop who had a bosc, and she was severely mentally impaired, and she had a photo of herself with her bosc in her arms like a baby having its tummy tickled. Obviously a highly tolerant bosc but it seemed to be really enjoying the attention from it, maybe this could be classed as love? Seemed happy to me anyway, which don would let me tickle him like that.
He was probably cold - makes them more docile. He was probably a killer when warmed up to the right temps :lol2:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
probably, it didnt sound treated very well, they overfed it an it died of fatty liver disease. Good diets are essential folks! They said they got another but they didnt have a photo of that one. Dons pretty docile out of the viv though, especially after a bath :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts