Reptile Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So basically, below is a picture of my rushed amateur attempt at making a simple door for my chameleon's viv. My question is, how should I go about making it more rigid without obscuring the view too much? At the moment it flexes so much so I'd like to fix that so I can use the same method on the doors I'll be making for the new viv.

Thanks to anyone who's able to help me out :)

·
Registered
889 Posts
best i can think of is add a thin cross cross beam, centrally on each side , (imagine a window pane), screw/nail it to the wood then pin then mesh to the crossbeams.
or wait for a better idea :lol2:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good ideas so far :) If anyone has some other ideas for me to choose from that'd be really helpful! :)

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
If you look at a canvas for painting there is a stiffener that goes in each corner which makes a massive difference to the frame rigidity, basically your door would be no different, you actually make these stiffeners out of say 6mm perspex glue into the slots so they remain pretty much invisible.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the metal brackets you have on are not doing much at the mo you need them to have two holes on each peace of wood and a screw in each hole will help a lot

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone's help and advice :) The door's much sturdier now after putting some more brackets in each corner. Here's what I did...

·
Registered
142 Posts
A mortise and tenon joint at each corner, dowelled if necessary would be best option. Glue it with something strong like cascamite.

·
Registered
366 Posts
A mortise and tenon joint at each corner, dowelled if necessary would be best option. Glue it with something strong like cascamite.
i agree

if he was making a new door from scratch a mortise and tenon joint would be best
if not got the tools to do that a half lap, bridle or open mortise joint can be done very easy with just a saw ( bridle and half lap) and chisel (open mortise)

putting 2 dowels in each joint as well would give extra strength (drill)

could use screws but not as strong over time and don't look as good

1 - 9 of 9 Posts