Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best time to but my snakes in to hibernate as i have 3 corns 2boas 1 calli king as i got told that my boas dont hibernate but my corns do and my calli ing do's and advice would be good

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
They don't have to hibernate - I've been keeping snakes for 8 years and never hibernated (or rather "brumated") any of them.

I believe it can help if you intend to breed, but even then it's not always essential.

If you don't have to, then I'd say don't bother and just carry on as normal.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Do you mean brumate them ready for breeding next year? If this is not what you mean then leave the snakes as they are, you should not brumate snakes "just because" - in fact you dont even have to brumate to breed with some species!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no

it is just that i got told that i had to put them in hibernates them so was asking to make shore thats all so i dont need to put them in hibernate as i read in book and on other forums that i need to

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
no need to hibernate, some species will need brumating if you are planning to breed, but even then not all snakes need to do this.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Yup no need to brumate them at all if you're not breeding. Its certainly not recommended and I would be interested to hear who told you you should actually! Very odd advice indeed.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Im starting the brumating process as of now for some of my kings but only because they are breeding next year... and only because it can help with a better hatch rate...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts