Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, im wondering if you can help me?

i have recently seen a picture of the illusive M.balfouri and was wondering if anyone knows where good places are to TRY and get one of these, and wondering a rough price of the females and males?

here is a pic if you don't know what they look like:

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
There's a guy selling a sexed pair on the T-store. £360/pair.

Females sell for around £200 - £250.

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i cant.....

There's a guy selling a sexed pair on the T-store. £360/pair.

Females sell for around £200 - £250.
i can never navigate myself around that site, i find it good site, just hard to find my way around....could you link me up to his ad please?
:2thumb:

·
Banned
3,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
found

found it

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
£360 for a pair is good

brought mine as a nynph for £80

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
£360 for a pair is good

brought mine as a nynph for £80
Personally I think that anyone who pays this much for them is nuts. The only thing I can see happening is people will buy these to cash in on breeding them. We need more Dan's in the hobby, who are more interested in breeding to spread the species than breeding to make hordes of cash...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Personally I think that anyone who pays this much for them is nuts. The only thing I can see happening is people will buy these to cash in on breeding them. We need more Dan's in the hobby, who are more interested in breeding to spread the species than breeding to make hordes of cash...
I concur!

It's the same with P.metallica, which is another of those species that, to me, seems way overpriced... Maybe I just don't want one as much as others, but ~£200 for a spider? £80 for a sling? That, to me, is insane. What justifies the price? Do the spiders spin silk of pure gold?

Yes, they're pretty, but I still think you can't beat a B.smithi/B.auratum or GBB or P.irminia... all of which are a tenth of the price of these...

·
Registered
13,232 Posts
I think anyone who does this is more likely than not to end up out of pocket. If Mary from AP can't get balfouri to mate and lay (and she has been trying) then I doubt any of us will be successful :lol2:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
not sure if im going to mate it or not when it matures. i just wanted a spider that looked stunning and not alot of other people had sort of a crown jewel for the collection.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm sure I saw one of these on TSS back in the summer when they had an abundance of Ts for sale (over 70 in total), I remember they caught my eye cos of the price! Sure they were going for £70/£80. They're beautiful but unless money was no object I couldn't justify spending that much!

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
not sure if im going to mate it or not when it matures. i just wanted a spider that looked stunning and not alot of other people had sort of a crown jewel for the collection.

These spiders are rare in the hobby. If you don't plan on breeding, then it's probably better to leave them for experienced breeders.

I'm not sure what protection these spiders have, but it might not be long before they are protected as Socrota is a world heritage site. If collection becomes illegal, then future keepers will have to reply on the efforts of breeders now. By all means I'm not saying there are only 6 in the hobby, but they are not particularly common. Buying a breeding pair just asks for an attempt to breed. There's a CZ breeder on arachnophiles whp successfully bred them; perhaps he might be a good source of tips for breeding the pair.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I'm sure I saw one of these on TSS back in the summer when they had an abundance of Ts for sale (over 70 in total), I remember they caught my eye cos of the price! Sure they were going for £70/£80. They're beautiful but unless money was no object I couldn't justify spending that much!
£70 .. my sling is still alive :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
TBH they don't really do anything for me.
+1

Just another fad spider for people who can't wait for things, or who for some unfathomable reason just need to have spiders that other people don't have :S

Kinda like how X.immanis used to be about $400 a few years back (I actually saw a dude pay this on the ATS forums) - I got mine for £25, sexed (female) at the start of the year.

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Hmmm i am sure that you could find one, but at a reasonable price ..................................nope You are more likely to grow another bumhole :lol2:
Indeed. Just save up £400 and you should get one...

Incidentally -19,000 posts? :gasp:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts