Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
its a flower mantis.
i cheated an clicked on picture and went to propertys and it says flower07 googled flower mantis and it is :Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
adult female Pseudocreobotra ocellata on the right
adult female Pseudocreobotra Wahlbergii on left

amazing how bigger the walbergii is..i wont be breeidng ocellata any more.

:2thumb: Wahlbergii RULE!!!!!!!! :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Macro Junkie, just out of interest, I use to keep stick insects, are praying mantises any different to keep? what are the requirements?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Macro Junkie, just out of interest, I use to keep stick insects, are praying mantises any different to keep? what are the requirements?
same just instead of greens u need crickets or flys instead..very easy to keep.

wlbergii care sheet from mantis place

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii The Wahlbergii Mantis is known by several names: Wahlbergii, Spiny Flower Mantis, and also the #9 Mantis due to the wing markings looking like the number nine. The #9 Mantis is a smaller sized mantis, with the females reaching 1-1/2 inches, and the males reaching 1-1/4 inches. The coloration is a collage of green stripes and spots of color that help it blend in with the flowers it ambushes prey on. The # 9 on the back is bright yellow, and possibly mirrors a large eye to ward off predators.

Food -The #9 Mantis is a “waiter” not a stalker. Flying food is best, if not mandatory. When first born, fruit flies, and then houseflies and blue bottle flies as the mantis can handle the size.

Water - The #9 Mantis gets most of its liquid from its food, but the need for high humidity will require misting into a moisture holding substrata, like Sphagnum moss.
2 to 3 times per week is best. .

Housing - Temperature should be about 80 degrees. Moisture-holding substrata such as Sphagnum moss should be used to hold humidity levels at about 65 % which is necessary for the molting process. This mantis likes to hang and ambush, so twigs for hanging are a good idea. Due to the high humidity, good ventilation is required to keep bacterial infections from forming, which will kill the mantis. The container needs to be 2 to 3 times the length of the mantis so there is enough height for successful molting. This mantis is cannibalistic, so only one mantis per container.

Difficulty -The #9 Mantis is a more difficult mantis to keep, due to the high humidity levels required, which can easily cause bacterial infections. Breeding is more difficult with this species, and temperatures of 80 degrees may be hard to maintain.

Summary -The #9 Mantis is one of the most beautifully colored species available. If you are looking for a challenge, this is the mantis for you!

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow pseudocreobroter are beautiful, i would love one (or two!!) but you just cant get them for a reasonable price on ebay *sighs* nevermind

·
Registered
9,153 Posts
If you breed the wahlbergii again can you please let me know when there's nymphs available? I had a male once from a petshop, but he was in such bad shape he moulted badly... since then i've not been able to get hold of anymore :(

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im breeding walbergii..I sale nympths for 4£ each..il let u guys know when i have some..be a good month yet before i have any for sale.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts