Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im posting this after being indirectly called a knob on another post. When I first got into reptiles my policy was, and still is, find out as much about an animal before purchasing it, and if I got stuck with anything then ask for other opinions. It seems to me that people are not bothering with research any more, but rather post a couple of questions and feel they know enough to own that animal.

Books are written and published about animals as one person's view on how to keep them from their own experience. I dont believe everything can be learned from textbooks - nothing beats the good old experience factor - but I believe other people's experience should be taken into account to stop other making the same mistakes as they did and therefore avoid animals suffering in the wrong conditions. So whats wrong with buying a starter book that doesnt go into major terms and phrases - not all books are written for professionals.

Im getting a very high impression that some people on these forums have never thought to lift a book in their lives, but instead will post a random topic asking for a piece of advice that could have easily been found out in a very basic book. I assume that since people are posting on the forum that they can read (I'll soon find out with the number of replies to this post :lol: ), so whats the problem with buying a starter book about a reptile.

If someone states that certain reptiles cant be kept together, does your initiative not tell you there must be a reason WHY they are saying that?? If reptiles come from different NATURAL environments then surely they shouldnt be kept in the same vivarium where some people have enough problems replicating ONE environment, let alone multiple environments in one enclosure.

Im appauled with the attitiudes of people on some forums, including this one. I dont claim to be mrs expert-reptile-keeper, I just wish people would use their initiatives - these are living animals we're talking about here and their welfare should be first priority, and so we should know as much about these animals before owning them.

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
there are a few twats that we have to deal with unfortunately mel... just try and ignore them

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
what? there are, theres a few on here that are just total time wasters and abuse people for no reason.
if someone needs some info i dont see any reason why they should be abused for asking for help

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
lol, oh yeh so i am :lol:
saying that i havent seen the threads

G

·
i think theres a good crowd on here but there are a good few who
are here to abuse people ,this is why i do not stay long on here
its spoiling the place :?

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
well once we get a few more mods it will be easy to sort out the problems. dont go mate, theres not too many sites that will be better than this, just avoid the losers.

G

·
oh i can put up with the loosers m8 i have been around a long time :D
its just feedback for you.. i wont frequent the place too much thats all..

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
There does seam to be an influx of idiots here at the minute.... Its actually quite irratating. Maybe I should add that to my irratating thread and kick another thread off! :lol:

·
Banned
5,772 Posts
im happy to say it wasnt me, but this thread just reminded me i meant to buy myself a bosc book for xmas an i forgot :(

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
no, you havent pissed anyone off for ages blaze :lol: , atleast , 3 days now :lol:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
i havent been on here for very long, and even though ive posted some stupid question everyone seems to have been nice and given good answers. i think alot of people purchase reptiles to be "cool" which is probably why they havent bothered to buy a single book. ive got about 50 books on different reps ... but thats mainly coz i have no life and like to read :D
just ignore the people who piss you off!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
leogirl said:
just ignore the people who piss you off!
Most intelligent thing i've read here in ages, and probably the most intelligent thing I'll read in another year :lol:

*yes this was pasted into word to make sure i spelt everything right so i didn't look like a prat :D

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
welshgaz said:
There does seam to be an influx of idiots here at the minute.... Its actually quite irratating. Maybe I should add that to my irratating thread and kick another thread off! :lol:
I hope I don't fall into that category :eek: . Sometimes I feel like an idiot with the things I ask but for me its not good enough having someone say "do this" or "just buy this packaged set"...I need to understand how it goes together, what it does and how it compares to other items so I feel like I'm asking really simpleton questions or asking the same kind of thing over and over. Sorry to anyone I bother like that :oops: .

On the other hand everyone has been really nice in helping me, thanks :D .

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
intravenous said:
welshgaz said:
I hope I don't fall into that category :eek: . Sometimes I feel like an idiot with the things I ask but for me its not good enough having someone say "do this" or "just buy this packaged set"...I need to understand how it goes together, what it does and how it compares to other items so I feel like I'm asking really simpleton questions or asking the same kind of thing over and over. Sorry to anyone I bother like that :oops: .

On the other hand everyone has been really nice in helping me, thanks :D .
Most certainly wasn't directed at you Lucie. 99% of people here will answer whatever questions are posted without question. Doesn't matter how silly them may sound.

There is no one way to look after reptiles, each to there own - thats why we have a flourishing forum :D

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
to be honest didnt read the whole post... i think its a bit unfair to tell people to go look in a book all the time, might as well close the forums if thats the help on offer.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts