Reptile Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted about a week ago about my new chameleon's tail, it looked like there was something wrong with it. I was told when i bought it that it was just retained shed and that with a bit more spraying with water should come of no problem. Now i have been doing that but something told me that wasnt the case. I took it to the vet and the vet said the same thing, but when i looked in at her today it looks a lot worse than retained shed and that the part of the tail is going to fall off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
It doesnt look right does it? Was it a reptile vet you saw or a general vet?

I have heard of retained shed cutting of the circulation sometimes but the colour looks ok at the tip.

Does she react if you touch that part or the tip of her tail? It looks at a funny angle like it might be broken?

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
it could still be retained shed, thats killed that part of the tail off it may have gotten to the point where the tissue is dead and there will be nothing you can do.
Any idea how long the sheds been on there?
though personly by the look of it looks like thats not coming off and the end of their tail may die

though iv never seen it on a tail that far up so im now 100% sure if the end would still be alive

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it was just a general vet, i will ask around for the best reptile vet in my area. Don't have a clue how long the shed has been there, i have only owned her just over a week. I noticed that when she changed colour the tip of the tail doesnt making me think it is dead or dying. I'll get it sorted ASAP.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
That animal should most likely be on antibiotics as the skin is broken.
Judging by how the end portion of the tail doesn't appear as prehensile as it should be, I would say that the end of the tail may need amputating too.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
probably needs amputation and antibiotics to sort out any infection it doesnt look black yet but u might want an xray to make sure the bone inside the rest of the tail isnt dyeing coz that can spread to the rest of the bones in the body, deffinatly need to see an expert reptile vet. gdluck hope ur cham gets better

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
oooh that looks like necrosis,the vet will amputate probably an inch or two above the infected area.good luck : victory:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just back from the vet, she amputated part of the tail and gave her a painkiller and dose of antibiotics for the week. I'm relieved its sorted now :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts