Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey just bought a hognose yesterday around 4 months old, he shed this morning, since then he has a wheezing /whistling sound , just wanna check it not something dangerouns

temps n humidty are spot on , i assume its a tiny peice of shed skin on his nostrils or sumat..hard to see

should i be concerned?

defo wasnt doing it yesterday

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
do you see any mucus around his mouth, is he breathing with his mouth open?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no mucus, yesteday he was doing a yawning motion every now and then, as if to crack the skin that was due to shed, today he not doing that but has this sound .he very alert and bright , the guy i bought from offered to feed, snake didnt take it , he said he due shed , which obv he is

the snake was 2nd biggest in litter so you can see it had fed , and the bloke i bought it from said no problem if it doesnt feed just take it back and swap it

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
it could be a bit of stuck shed

wheezing and whistling sounds are also indicators of a possible respiratory infection.

can you see any signs of stuck shed around the snout

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just checked him again, hard to see, he so bloody small but pretty sure i can see part of scale in his right nostril compared to his left so probably the answer, ill keep an eye on him, how long would this normally take to fix itself, he so small an the nostril so close to his eye, i couldnt try to take it off myself

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
ye I had this when I first bought my BRB, I thought he had a respiratory infection but there was no bubbles and when he shed the wheezing stopped, however if you do notice any mucus or bubbles etc. or if he is still doing it after shedding you'll need to treat him : victory:

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
If it is stuck it may take till the next shed to come off. Hoggies tend not to shed as often as other snakes too.

You could try giving him a soak to see if that will help

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so hard to see him , he wont stay still long but im 99% sure i can see maybe a semi scaled nostril on his right one

he defo wasnt doing the noise yesterday , it started today after he shed ill give him a bath in a bit n see if it goes

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
so hard to see him , he wont stay still long but im 99% sure i can see maybe a semi scaled nostril on his right one

he defo wasnt doing the noise yesterday , it started today after he shed ill give him a bath in a bit n see if it goes
As it started the day after he shed, in all likelyhood it will be a bit of retained skin.

The bath will soften things up, then if you handle him through a damp towel for a while or place him in a pillow case with a damp towel inside if you don't have time, that should remove any stuck shed.

Good luck buddy, hope it doesn't turn out to be anything sinister :2thumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers! will do that, good advice

you prob know the guy i bought it from, rick, to be fair , he decent enough, ill keep an eye on him and if it doesnt go and it gets worse ill take it back to him and go from there

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
cheers! will do that, good advice

you prob know the guy i bought it from, rick, to be fair , he decent enough, ill keep an eye on him and if it doesnt go and it gets worse ill take it back to him and go from there
Pleasure mate.

Don't think I know the guy but I'm crap with names.

I'm sure it will clear up though bud :2thumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i not had a hognose before, so hard to see.... he is tiny... i bathed him, handled him with wet towel, and put him in pillow case with wet towel, no difference

think can see the peice of skin is maybe on its whole snout, including nose , think what ill try next is remove his aspen and put him in sand for a few days (i know not to feed him when on sand) and surely the roughness of the sand and him digging around will remove it

should sort itself out, not worried at least i know its just his shed

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
i not had a hognose before, so hard to see.... he is tiny... i bathed him, handled him with wet towel, and put him in pillow case with wet towel, no difference

think can see the peice of skin is maybe on its whole snout, including nose , think what ill try next is remove his aspen and put him in sand for a few days (i know not to feed him when on sand) and surely the roughness of the sand and him digging around will remove it

should sort itself out, not worried at least i know its just his shed
If it is obstructing his breathing and seeing as it is a young snake I would try and remove it as soon as possible as it could be putting stress on his lungs.

How long did you bathe him for 2-3 hours should do the trick

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nice one, got a sandwich box , made some small holes in lid , will leave for a cple of hours n see how he goes

cheers

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
did just notice he did that yawn thing again, thought he was breathing kinda hard yday, expanding etc in an unusual way

il check him in cple of hours n if the same ill try the sand , i dont want a dead hoggy on ma concience , but dont wanna swap him with the breeder, he got such a calm temperament

so is that yawn thing a breath?

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
did just notice he did that yawn thing again, thought he was breathing kinda hard yday, expanding etc in an unusual way

il check him in cple of hours n if the same ill try the sand , i dont want a dead hoggy on ma concience , but dont wanna swap him with the breeder, he got such a calm temperament

so is that yawn thing a breath?
Gaping can be a sign of an RI or it could be him trying to loosen the shed.

Even if you swap him with the breeder, chances are at some stage or another something will go wrong with your snake.

If you like this one stick with it and if it does turn out to be an RI, the vet will sort it. You might even be able to ask the seller to help with vet costs if you have only just bought it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.