Reptile Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
another newbie question,

fed my corn a pinkie last night for the first time, he took it no problem. What I want to know is how do i know when to feed either more than one pinkie, or move to the next size up (fuzzies i think).

Is it trial and error, IE try him on more than one and see if he takes it (do snakes eat even if they are not hungry?)

Or do you go by length/size if snake?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
you normaly go by how wide the snakes body is.
so if your snake is young and no fatter than a pinky that would be ok,but someone did tell me that the food should leave a bulge just about noticable in the snakes body (but im not sure if thats right so ask someone elses opinion on that)

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Basically, when it stops leaving a little lump in the belly it is getting too small. So when one pinkie is eaten and you cant actually see that it has been i.e no lump, then move upto 2 pinks. Then the same with this and either move upto 3 pinks or a fuzzy....etc etc etc ..... :lol:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
i agree with scarletvegetable - except that I prefer to move up to fluffs after 2 pinkies, 3 items seems quite a lot in one go to me, although many people do this without problems.

Ask the shop to sort out larger pinkies/smaller fluffs for you when you need them.

As long as you don't feed anything wider than the snakes body at its widest point, then you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
Yep once one pinkie doesn't leave a dent move to two then three.... then move up to a fuzzy. After that you'll get the idea, if he mega small he'll be on pinks for a while

1 - 5 of 5 Posts