Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering how long I have to wait for bramble leaves to be old enough to be fed to stick insects. I have five, fifth instar Extatosoma tiaratum nymphs, I have read that it is unsafe to feed them new bramble growth but have also read that it is fine. At what point of its growth does it become safe to feed?

Also, I am planning on sterilising some cork bark for my GALS and was wondering how this is best done. Maybe boiling and then baking but am concerned it could really smell when heated?

Thank you in advance for any help!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I am wondering how long I have to wait for bramble leaves to be old enough to be fed to stick insects. I have five, fifth instar Extatosoma tiaratum nymphs, I have read that it is unsafe to feed them new bramble growth but have also read that it is fine. At what point of its growth does it become safe to feed?

Also, I am planning on sterilising some cork bark for my GALS and was wondering how this is best done. Maybe boiling and then baking but am concerned it could really smell when heated?

Thank you in advance for any help!
As long as it's not really fresh bright green shoots just emerged, should be okay.
On a bramble branch just use the lower leaves
I wouldn't bother sterilising cork bark, just give it a good scrub in really hot water and leave to dry in the sun.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for clarifying the bramble thing.
I am sterilising the cork bark because it was in a snail tank that had mites, nematodes and flies so I wanted to ensure none of those would return.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'd guess when it comes to mites, you could put the bark in the freezer for minimum of 72 hours, preferably longer. This won't kill bacteria, but should kill mites. I do that with substrate and cork l buy for my snakes, as a prevention, and for any substrate and leaves for my isopods.

You could also pour boiling water over it, then put it in the oven on low heat, for about 20 minutes, but you have to watch it doesn't start burning ( sounds like cooking recipe :) ).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts