Reptile Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i just wanted to see what age a kid should be to start keeping snakes?

thing is i gt a 3year old and she loves my snakes, she knows how to do everything, and for the first time i let her feed my late 09 boa(strike feeder), she did so well, my brother ont he other hand is a few years older then me and craped himself feeding the smae snake.

so now im thinking of getting her a snake (corn or milk) something small to start with, she keeps telling em she wants some like mine (boas) but i have to say when she is bigger.

i just wanted to see wha other people think on what age to start.

thanks

·
Registered
681 Posts
My kiddies have a corn snakes, milk snake and a cali king, we all have agreed if any time they lose interest that the snakes become mine

so far so gd they are really good at looking them, also we have a rule that the kids are not allowed to get the snakes out on there own. I think as long as she is supervised I can`t see the problem

Good luck

kat

·
Registered
220 Posts
A three year old? You let a THREE year old feed the boa???

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think as long as you're there to supervise all the time it should be fine :) And if she gets a hatchling she can grow with it. It's great that kids are interested in this hobby.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

i was watching over her and she is only a ft long, you think boa and then think big snake but shes not i have 2 larger boas and she wanted to feed one so i let her feed my baby one.

bella is only like 5 months old

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think as long as you're there to supervise all the time it should be fine :) And if she gets a hatchling she can grow with it. It's great that kids are interested in this hobby.

yeah she loves my snakes to bits i got a pic of her hoding my old 4ft royal, she holds my snakes all the time, every time i get one outshe has t hold one but i NEVER leave her on her own with one.

·
Registered
35,069 Posts
As long as you realise that its actually your snake, and your resposibility, and you are just letting her help look after it and telling her its hers, then I don;t see a problem at all.

·
Registered
36,627 Posts
My 3 year old has a 4.5 foot Corn that he adores. He helps me clean out all of my snakes anyway but he loves cleaning her out best and changing her water etc. He also helps me with feeding as he loves watching them eat. He loves sitting in garden in sunshine with her curled up on his lap or on sofa watching telly.
I think that as long as they are supervised at all times then it is a good thing
The poor thing is called Wiggly Woo tho lol

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
My 3 year old has a 4.5 foot Corn that he adores. He helps me clean out all of my snakes anyway but he loves cleaning her out best and changing her water etc. He also helps me with feeding as he loves watching them eat. He loves sitting in garden in sunshine with her curled up on his lap or on sofa watching telly.
I think that as long as they are supervised at all times then it is a good thing
The poor thing is called Wiggly Woo tho lol
LOL best name i have ever heard :lol2::no1:

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
i think as long as you know that your gonna be doing the most care, and she's going to be helping, and teach her how to handle properly and that she can never get it out without supervision, then i dont see a problem. i say go for it, though it could be better waiting a year or two
my brothers 9 not 3, but he loves feeding my corn snake, i dont let him feed the boa or royal, but thats for other reasons

·
Registered
9,215 Posts
As long as you realise that its actually your snake, and your resposibility, and you are just letting her help look after it and telling her its hers, then I don;t see a problem at all.
Agreed. My four year old son has had a pet milk snake for a year. He calls it Freddy. Strangely I do most of the feeding/cleaning etc, but he's very proud of him.

He didn't feed his three year old to the boa.......:bash:

I let my kids handle some of my more docile snakes. My four year old is an expert snake handler already, and very keen on anything to do with animals and nature.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
3 is a bit young I would personally wait until 5 to buy them a snake, just because if the snake bites a young child could get very startled and afraid. But if anything go corn snake 100%!!! They are the bomb for young/beginner owners :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts