Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys,

I have just bought my first corn snake and he seems happy to be handled, he will sit nice and still on my hand after the first 5 mins of trying to do a runner.

He is currently in a lunchbox type of viv that is 15"x10"x5".

I was wondering how big he has to be before i can move him into his larger viv that is 24"x12"x18".

The larger viv is pure glass and i was thinking it would be better to painting one of the sides and the back black to make the snake feel less nervous. Does anyone know what type of paint is best for painting on the glass and leaving a decent finish?

Many thanks in advance

Matt

P.s. He's now about 15" in length

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
Pure glass vivs are a bad idea really... bad ventilation and they can heat up wrong.... your best bet is a wooden viv. If he's 15" he'll be completely fine to be put in there.. could have been put in there from when he was about 3/4 months. hope that helps you.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I Agree with NNY, You could easily put him in 24 inche now. if you go for a glass tank, i wouldnt paint as this is permanent, or its going to take time to scrape it off. Get Black card instead with a bit of cellotape.

But overall, Wooden vivs are better.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Youre also probably better off painting three sides if you decide to go with the paint. I'd also probably paint the outside of the viv. That way the finish inside is perfect and also no danger of any nasty chemicals getting on your snake.

Use a waterbased paint if you want to be able to get it off easily. Not sure if it will stick to the glass, but should do if its thick enough.

Like the previous posts said though. Youre better off with wood as it insulates better than glass.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
carl24bpool said:
Youre also probably better off painting three sides if you decide to go with the paint. I'd also probably paint the outside of the viv. That way the finish inside is perfect and also no danger of any nasty chemicals getting on your snake.

Use a waterbased paint if you want to be able to get it off easily. Not sure if it will stick to the glass, but should do if its thick enough.

Like the previous posts said though. Youre better off with wood as it insulates better than glass.
if you paint the outside, the glass will act as a mirror and the snake will see itself, probably stressing it out!
as already said wooden vivs are much better, and look better imo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts