Reptile Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
I think so, as with everything sooner or later deformities will start arising, its natures way to keep a balance on things, and nature is one thing we cant control.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Will there be a point when morphs can't be bred together? There must be end somewhere
that's when normal royals will be worth a fortune. :whistling2:

·
Registered
944 Posts
So long as one scale shows a slight variation there will be new morphs

As far as deformities go are scaleless or neuro a deformity?
If the answer is yes then deformities are accepted as normal now

So no
It will never end
Agree with this. Look at spider ball pythons or the scaleless corns, rat snakes and royals. People want them because they are attractive. As long as their is the demand there will be the intent to supply the newest morphs. Also look at desert ball pythons, the females do not lay viable clutches so that is, I suppose a deformity of a morph that to a degree affects reproduction.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Agree with this. Look at spider ball pythons or the scaleless corns, rat snakes and royals. People want them because they are attractive. As long as their is the demand there will be the intent to supply the newest morphs. Also look at desert ball pythons, the females do not lay viable clutches so that is, I suppose a deformity of a morph that to a degree affects reproduction.
Is it the snake that is attractive or is it the price tag of some of the morphs that's attractive, whether to breed and make money or just to boast that they paid a grand for a snake? If the nicest morphs out there were only £50 would people still be interested in them?

Reactions: Paul F

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Is it the snake that is attractive or is it the price tag of some of the morphs that's attractive, whether to breed and make money or just to boast that they paid a grand for a snake? If the nicest morphs out there were only £50 would people still be interested in them?
I'd say a bit of both, as well as the collectors mentality. For every new morph found/produced, they'll be thousands of people waiting to buy one, even if it looks like crap. Unfortunately, some snakes are now more like Pokémon cards than a living creature.

The question I'd like to have an answer to is, if all snakes were wild types, how many people would still keep them? Would species like royals and corns still be as popular as they are now? I don't think they would.

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
I suppose it might end when they breed legs back into them...

Reactions: mattandme2

·
Registered
752 Posts
skinks

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'd say a bit of both, as well as the collectors mentality. For every new morph found/produced, they'll be thousands of people waiting to buy one, even if it looks like crap. Unfortunately, some snakes are now more like Pokémon cards than a living creature.

The question I'd like to have an answer to is, if all snakes were wild types, how many people would still keep them? Would species like royals and corns still be as popular as they are now? I don't think they would.
I so agree with this! I was ranting to the misses a couple of days ago on how ball pythons have gotten so ridiculous. It's nothing but a fashion show and pokemon, gotta catch'em all!

I'd say it's more for the bragging rights. I've seen it mostly in my community where keepers buy different morphs, no matter how much it costs, just to brag what they have. I am pretty much convinced that if the morph costed £50 people wouldn't put it on such a high pedestal, interest would definitely go down since everyone would be able to afford them.

In fact this kind of thing has happened before, it just moved. After they exhausted the morphs out of corn snakes the prices went down. Now they've become nothing but practice dummies for beginner breeders. It's being done the same to ball pythons.

Personally for me I see nothing special about ball pythons. They're extremely shy, picky eaters and stress my mind with worry way too much. I've also been repelled from owning one since they've become so objectified. In the 3years I've been into this hobby I've had more joy observing my plain nothing special BCI roaming around her cage than I've experienced with any other snake. But that's personal opinion :lol2:

·
Banned
320 Posts
The end has already begun. You would have to be blind not to notice it. The powers that be spoke of a time when this would happen, largely due to the fact they are educated and where controlling the market. Obviously the current economy hasn't helped things one bit.

The end is nigh folks. Once all the big breeders have sold up to the shops, importers and the editors have made there money.... only then will they will agree. Only then mind.

Lord have mercy on us all.

Trends come and go. For the most part the wild type species prices stay true (give or take). The days of expecting anyone to pay £1000's on a morph is long gone - I personally cannot ever see it coming back. The only people naive enough to do so are the newcomers (to no fault of there own) which will come and go once they find out the truth.

Lord have mercy on us all.

Reactions: mattandme2

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

Very good question, but we wouldn't really get an honest answer to it now. We would have to invent a time machine and go back to prevent morphs being produced :)

·
Registered
4,096 Posts
Reactions: Fen

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
the only way it will stop is when both snake and science (eg AI) cannot produce viable eggs/offspring. deformities do not stop snakes being bred, faulty genes do not stop snakes being bred, the only thing that will stop snakes being bred is them being unable to breed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts