·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do look smart, prob just perspex then, maybe

·
Registered
11,090 Posts
Yea, definitely look acrylic to me.Might have a go at building something into the fireplace like that...Since I can get the materials cheap.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are there different grades of perspex (higher quality) or is it all standard grade so to speak?

·
Premium Member
16,488 Posts
seen these advertised recently - cant remember where - not badly priced either if i remember correctly

·
Registered
645 Posts
Are there different grades of perspex (higher quality) or is it all standard grade so to speak?
perspex is just a brand name for acrylic. There are different types, polycarbonate is stronger (bullet proof in some thickness') but very expensive. You may need a good thickness to get rigidity if your using normal acrylic sheet which i would expect would make it more expensive than using glass.

·
Registered
11,090 Posts
For my overflow tower in my aquarium I used 10mm (was supposed to be 6mm) thick acrylic - ordered through the glass cutter at my dads work...Very strong and 100% clear - cost a lot though.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
They look custom built to me, but they really look great. You can get perspex cut to size and delivered so all you have to do is bond it together. But go to any company that makes perspex display cases and im sure they would give it go.

·
Registered
645 Posts
My only worry would be that perspex/acrylic i have used has always been prone to scratching, getting cloudy and yellowing with age. Not saying these will as i know nothing about them but worth bearing in mind. They do look nice in that setup mind and show none of the above problems.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My only worry would be that perspex/acrylic i have used has always been prone to scratching, getting cloudy and yellowing with age. Not saying these will as i know nothing about them but worth bearing in mind. They do look nice in that setup mind and show none of the above problems.
That's the only problem I was thinking.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts