Reptile Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
i have so adult read eared sliders and thyer in a 4 foot tank and i feel so sorry for thema nd i am planning to build a pond in the back garden, but first on all i can dig as it is concrete flags and we have a small boy and some dogs so we need it raised, i wanted a...like big plastic tray they use at garden centres for big fish (sorry forgot the name) and i was going to biuld up on the side with either stone brocks or (that) wood ( that you use for pataya???(sorry cant spell it lol) as we've done the same with another pond that we have in front....Anyway does anyone know where i could get one from??? big enough for 2 adult terrapins please help if you as i feel so sorry for them and wnat them to be happy with a big enough swim space.
thanks sophie

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Any pond centre will have these, the ones sold for building water features are ideal, have a look at the Laguna range and you should find what you're looking for.

I was looking at some in my local World of Water last weekend, thinking of getting a couple for outdoor Musk setups. WoW have branches all over, just check their website to see if there's one local to you, or for other Laguna stockists if there isn't.

How big are your adult RES?

·
Super Moderator
16,914 Posts
Depending on how big the sliders are - you could use a very large plastic box from, say B&Q, Homebase or a DIY shop obviously the largest you can get. The weight of the water can cause the box to bow so you need to get a strong one. Alternatively, a plasterer's bath, also available from DIY shops. Another thought would be a household water storage tank. The large purpose built black plastic "ponds" used by aquatic centres would be ideal, but I imagine they are very expensive.

If you were to lift the patio slabs is it just soil underneath - if so, would it be possible to just remove some and sink in a preformed plastic pond - off eBay maybe. This would probably not be deep enough to overwinter them so they would have to return indoors from October onwards.

You will need to have a filter - and there are several posts on here saying how to build your own with a smaller plastic box and a pond pump.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, my res are about 7-8 inches it may not seem big but there in a 4ft tank and there si two and they haven't much tank space as i use rocks for them to bask on for now. i forgot to mention it has to have a tap on it so i can clean it properly, and i was still going to bring them in, in winter i think as it is better safe than sorry, i think they would be two big for a big box from b&q but i have never really looked so cant really say, thanks for the replys and i am going to get a good pond pumper form e-bay i think if i do get a pond, my nearest garden centre is dobbies, and there quite dear and the cheap one's looka nd seem smaller and shallower than what there in now, i will have a look now at the website, graham thanks sophie

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
could you replace the rocks wiht some cork bark? i use this in my res tank wedged into the tank, gives more swimming space, this would only be temporarily tho. im looking at getting the laguna rectangle 1300L for Bob as his pond will be on the patio, these are sturdy and from what ive been told quite good!
i recenlty posted a topic like this on terrapin info http://www.terrapin-info.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=576
very helpful website

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
Those big Laguna tubs are really good, very sturdy and you get a lot of volume for your money.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replys it is the price pf getting one now and the filter and all that stuff you need x any more ideas on prices? thanks

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
Plasterer's baths are pretty cheap- I use a 4ft one indoors that cost about £30. Useless outside for winter, though, as they are nowhere near deep enough. I have mine set up as an indoor pond in my living room. If you (or a friend) are any good at brick/breeze block work, you could have a go at building a raised pond on top of your concrete; at least 3ft deep, lined (heavily!) with insulating material and then with tough (!) pondliner. The liner is usually cheaper than the preformed shapes, and is much easier to deal with- it takes the shape of the pond. But I suggest you google some pond-building sites to get the idea.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yer thanks my mum built a pond in the front but that was in the ground lol good idea where could i get it from do you know??? thanks

·
Premium Member
13,849 Posts
The decent size Laguna tubs start around £80, up to a couple of hundred I think, you need to shop around though as prices vary greatly. You get a lot more pond for your money than you do with similar size fibreglass ones, which is what you'd need to go for otherwise to get something that size that was rigid enough to be freestanding.

For a filter I would just look at small box filters, or build your own which is easy enough.

·
Registered
17,604 Posts
yer thanks my mum built a pond in the front but that was in the ground lol good idea where could i get it from do you know??? thanks
Any of the bigger garden centres that sell fish/pond supplies. as I said, the heavy duty stuff is best; the cheaper plastic tends to puncture easily.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts