Reptile Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to put the vents in a viv thats 4' long by 18" wide by 28" tall????

Obviously I need ventilation but also to keep some humidity. I know how convection air current works, but not sure whats best.

I'd of thought one at the top in the warm end and bottom in the cold end. Am I right????

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
I put the ones at the bottom on the warm end so that when cool air comes in it gets warmed then circulated then goes out the other end.

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
I would put one in each corner obviously not too close to the corners though . . . I have 5 in my 4.5*2*2ft, one bang in the centre and the others attached to the corners, works for me.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
If the vents are fairly small, I'd be inclined to put 4 in there - one in each corner on the back. The better the ventilation the easier it will be to maintain a gradient in warm weather.

It's easier to fit extra vents now rather than later, and can always block them off if the humidity is too low by taping a piece of card (or something) over them from outside.

If they're large vents I'd go with the warm end one at the bottom and cool end one at the top - that way warm air will travel down the viv and you'll know it is being heated properly.
If you have a large vent at the warm end at the top a lot of the heat will go straight out and cold air will be drawn across the viv from the other end.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts