Reptile Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure about where I'm supposed to put a spotlight in my viv??? I would prob put it pointing at a nice perch halfway up the tank. In the warm end obviously.

If using a heat mat aswell for lower part will I need ceramic aswell or will a spot light do the job??

The other thing. How do I protect the snake from burning itself on the spot light??? do I need a cage of some kind or will the snake not be that silly???

I would assume a cage but have seen so many ivs with unprotected spotlights in them.

Thanks again people.

·
Registered
21,190 Posts
my spot light is on the roof pointing down. I use a heatmat and dont need a CHE, the light MUST be covered, snakes are stupid when it comes to heat, they will wrap themselves around the bulb and be badly burned before they even feel the pain, you can buy light guards from any rep/pet shop and loads of places online.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

This is where I put mine, back corner notice probes underneith I use a mixture of CHE and red bulbs, In a viv that size you can have several setups for heating and it may be worth you getting an asi unit, You will struggle to get subrate temps to required temp with a bulb so high you will have to put in a basking shelf or branch or you could use an angled fixture half way down the viv.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Maki,

I was gonna use a heat mat to get the substrate temp up. This should be okay shouldn't it??

When you say a mixture of CHC and red. How do you mean mixture??? Do you have two fittings or do you swap at certain times of day???

And what is an asi unit?? is this a thermostat of some kind??? I was honna get one of those habistat ones for the mat. I am assuming that i can regulate the ambient temperature with the heat mate and just leave the lamp on all day and off at night.

Let me know what you think Maki.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
What I mean by a mixture is that some vivs I use a ceramic and some I use a red bulb, Personaly I dont like heatmats in vivs but many do it without problems, I will find a link for the unit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts