Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(no im not changing my mind but if i do all i can with big cats and still cant get them id love a few fennecs, so.. its not exactly changing my mind its a plan b before anyone says :lol2:

soooo where do people keep them, indoors with free roam or outside in their own enclosure? im sure it varies from person to person but im just curious theyre so cute!

(it will always be an ambition to even work or get 5 minutes with a big cat of any kind, im just facing reality that ill probably never get one but i can try)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
hahahaha :roll2: And next week on The Joe Show - Are the trees in my garden poisonous for giraffes? Can I keep a grizzly bear in my garage? Are there any giant sloth breeders in Merseyside???

(sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Maybe just ask your folks if you can have a dog?:2thumb:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hahahaha :roll2: And next week on The Joe Show - Are the trees in my garden poisonous for giraffes? Can I keep a grizzly bear in my garage? Are there any giant sloth breeders in Merseyside???

(sorry, couldn't resist)
:lol2: i wouldnt be getting anything until i move out so i wouldnt need to ask and could keep whatever i wanted and id imagine a fennec to be more rewarding than a dog so thats why i asked about them :Na_Na_Na_Na: its not like im changing my mind its just a plan b :whip:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
:lol2: i wouldnt be getting anything until i move out so i wouldnt need to ask and could keep whatever i wanted and id imagine a fennec to be more rewarding than a dog so thats why i asked about them :Na_Na_Na_Na: its not like im changing my mind its just a plan b :whip:
Having kept fennecs, I can tell you that there is NO WAY they are more rewarding than dogs. There's a reason that there are so many dogs around, you know.....that's because they are the best pet and the most rewarding. Fennecs are cute to look at, sure, but they can be vicious little swines, messy and very very noisy! :)

If it's just that you're wanting something exotic, then you need to ask yourself why you're desperate to keep something so exotic. It isn't easy, can be incredibly stressful, massively time consuming, and most importantly very expensive!

Apart from anything else, I can almost guarantee that when you move out of home, you won't be in a financially viable position to keep these kind of animals....and you probably won't be in accommodation that allows you to keep these kind of animals either.

It's great to dream...god knows I was the worst for that....but why don't you focus your energies more on finding a job with exotics? That way, you can get your "animal fix", but also you'll be more able to live the kind of life you'll be wanting to live as you enter your early-mid 20's.....which is the best time of your life (BELIEVE ME!):2thumb:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
By the way, i really do mean that without any kind of malice whatsoever....I hope you don't think I'm being nasty! Admittedly mate, I used to find your posts a little grating as I'm sure many did, but now actually I find them quite funny and you remind me of myself when I was a teen.

So I really do mean my advice in a good way, rather than being unnecessarily critical. I just can't wait to read what animal it's going to be next!:lol2:

·
Registered
242 Posts
I kind of agree with Mrchris :whistling2:

Dogs are definately more rewarding, more eager to please and more trainable. I have a pair of Fennecs that i would never be without. The longer i have them, the more i adore them, if thats possible! :flrt:

BUT.... while the idea of keeping Fennecs may be a future dream, you need to be aware of how unruly and hard they are to keep. Phoenix, my male, is 99% of the time toilet trained and will toilet on a mat, this does not happen with other Fennecs very often from what i have learned but Arlandria is the standard, messy....piddle and poop everywhere kinda fox but is slowly improving? They can be noisy and can be very destructive. Phoenix, when he was younger dug a hole to the brick,through the window cill!! As for affection....urm...when Phoenix is in the mood then i can stroke him briefly if i reward the little bugger but NEVER in his room?? Arlandria will only take food from my hand. Other Fennecs may be different but all, will only take affection as and when they want it and on their terms.

My dogs however, I have four Flatcoat Retievers, are the most wonderful, loyal, affectionate friends i will ever have. They are my babies :flrt:

I wanted Fennecs, after i had researched LOADS and spoke to people regarding them. I knew the downsides and the positives. There are many, many downsides but for me there are many, many more postives. They are part of my family and loved equally as much as my dogs.

Its really good to dream Joe and if your lucky, like me, it becomes a reality but really think about what will be best for both you and your animals. Good luck, keep dreaming and planning :2thumb:

Paula

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By the way, i really do mean that without any kind of malice whatsoever....I hope you don't think I'm being nasty! Admittedly mate, I used to find your posts a little grating as I'm sure many did, but now actually I find them quite funny and you remind me of myself when I was a teen.

So I really do mean my advice in a good way, rather than being unnecessarily critical. I just can't wait to read what animal it's going to be next!:lol2:
i'm just about to make a thread of what i've wanted since joining this forum i think i'm going to be here all night :Na_Na_Na_Na: i found out what pangolins and tamanduas were last night so they will probably be next :lol2::lol2:

I kind of agree with Mrchris :whistling2:

Dogs are definately more rewarding, more eager to please and more trainable. I have a pair of Fennecs that i would never be without. The longer i have them, the more i adore them, if thats possible! :flrt:

BUT.... while the idea of keeping Fennecs may be a future dream, you need to be aware of how unruly and hard they are to keep. Phoenix, my male, is 99% of the time toilet trained and will toilet on a mat, this does not happen with other Fennecs very often from what i have learned but Arlandria is the standard, messy....piddle and poop everywhere kinda fox but is slowly improving? They can be noisy and can be very destructive. Phoenix, when he was younger dug a hole to the brick,through the window cill!! As for affection....urm...when Phoenix is in the mood then i can stroke him briefly if i reward the little bugger but NEVER in his room?? Arlandria will only take food from my hand. Other Fennecs may be different but all, will only take affection as and when they want it and on their terms.

My dogs however, I have four Flatcoat Retievers, are the most wonderful, loyal, affectionate friends i will ever have. They are my babies :flrt:

I wanted Fennecs, after i had researched LOADS and spoke to people regarding them. I knew the downsides and the positives. There are many, many downsides but for me there are many, many more postives. They are part of my family and loved equally as much as my dogs.

Its really good to dream Joe and if your lucky, like me, it becomes a reality but really think about what will be best for both you and your animals. Good luck, keep dreaming and planning :2thumb:

Paula
i've had so many dogs but never a flatcoat retriever, i've never met one before but if i ever do get a dog, it would be a bullmastiff, a husky or an alsation, they've all been in my family and bullmastiffs still are and they're the best dogs, i used to own a bullmastiff when i was about 3, just a pup but it had to move out and live with my aunty because i was allergic, i went back to visit it and it still remembered me so they're my favourite kind, they're so nice but can be annoying :whistling2: i've wanted fennecs for years but never got round to looking into them and now i've got people telling me their experiences with theirs, i'll probably just go and spend some time with some to find out whether i want them, don't think there is any in liverpool though that i know of :(

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well you stand bugger all chance of ever getting pangolin......there are only very few zoos that even have 'em.

Tamanduas are available, though expensive. However, I'd advise against them because they have REALLY high mortality rates in captivity and are really difficult to care for!

Reactions: Rhianna.J

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well you stand bugger all chance of ever getting pangolin......there are only very few zoos that even have 'em.

Tamanduas are available, though expensive. However, I'd advise against them because they have REALLY high mortality rates in captivity and are really difficult to care for!
well they're both on my list anyway :devil:

·
Registered
410 Posts
In the nicest way possible, do you think you'd be able to save up the sheer amount of money needed for a Fennec? I myself am looking into foxes at the moment and understand the "dream" of keeping an exotic. But there's not only the cost and patience of keeping, but the sheer cost of buying a young Fennec in the first place? Good luck, maybe one day, in the right circumstances you'll get the exotic you dream of :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't think it's crazy that the OP would be able to have that kind of money at his proposed age of 22 (I believe that's what he said on the cat thread?), I don't like to mention my age often but I'm younger than that and I have the money already. I think the more important thing financially is that it is a lot of money and you have to be sure you're spending it on an animal you're genuinely passionate about. In my opinion, you shouldn't be spending upwards of £2000 on a plan b. It makes more sense to work on making your main dream a reality.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think it's crazy that the OP would be able to have that kind of money at his proposed age of 22 (I believe that's what he said on the cat thread?), I don't like to mention my age often but I'm younger than that and I have the money already. I think the more important thing financially is that it is a lot of money and you have to be sure you're spending it on an animal you're genuinely passionate about. In my opinion, you shouldn't be spending upwards of £2000 on a plan b. It makes more sense to work on making your main dream a reality.
even i don't get the money to do it by the time i'm 22, i want to be able to do it at one point in my life, hopefully :2thumb:

·
Registered
410 Posts
I also have that kind of money and i'm 22 so i can understand it's possible.... i never said it was crazy, just asking if it was possible for him personally. Also i think your comment about spending it on Plan B was 100% right. Go for your dream!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
even i don't get the money to do it by the time i'm 22, i want to be able to do it at one point in my life, hopefully :2thumb:
I also have that kind of money and i'm 22 so i can understand it's possible.... i never said it was crazy, just asking if it was possible for him personally. Also i think your comment about spending it on Plan B was 100% right. Go for your dream!
REALLY???? You have a few thousand pounds as disposable income at the age of 22? Of course you'd need more than one fennec. Not to mention the £1000 for a decent enclosure, the few hundred for upkeep, the few hundred as back-up for vet fees when it all goes wrong, and of course the space to build a suitable enclosure in your garden? All at the age of 22??? REALLY???

Bloody 'ell! I must have had a misspent youth!:devil:

(That's is, of course, assuming that you would do it right and not just buy a single fennec and have it sleeping in your bed)

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
To be fair, I have a work colleague who's 18 and had been working on an apprenticeship for £2.50 an hour, 12 hours a day for a long while and managed to save £3k. So it is possible!

Reactions: joemeatsix

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Crikey! Mum and dad must be very generous then.

Don't forget that most people that age are living in student accommodation or houseshares. Also, not forgetting the nights out. All my cash back then got pissed up against a wall! But maybe I just had a smidge too much fun :)

Reactions: 5plusmany

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Couple of grand. But of course, you'd want to keep 2 as they do best with their own kind around.

Reactions: RobynHood.

·
Administrator
17,061 Posts
Couple of grand. But of course, you'd want to keep 2 as they do best with their own kind around.
Oh ok thanks so several thousands of pounds to have two plus appropriate enclosures, vet bills etc.

I'm way more than 22, but when I was that age money went straight into a mortgage. Things are very different today, but I know where I would advise putting any disposable savings/income - "bricks and mortar".

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.