Reptile Forums banner

Where do you want the herp world to go?

2K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  Blazey 
#1 ·
I would just like to say that I’m really disappointed in a select few in this forum. I am here to learn just like many others yet you have people bashing and ganging up against others just because they think they know what they are talking about, I would say if you have views on something and you really disagree then say it in a manor which everyone will listen not in one that just the people who will just agree with your point of view. Who will trust someone who knows nothing on a subject over someone who has facts and can prove those facts?

But again and again I see people on this forum blaring and saying “oh that’s impossible!”, “Oh that’s stupid” and various other closed minded words. Yet they don’t know nothing of the subject on what they are talking about, it’s like me trying to tell someone who has built buildings for 20 years to do it my way because I! think it’s right.

I always thought that in the reptile world there were more open minded people and more people who are willing to learn, yet again and again I am being proved wrong by this forum. I know and realize that the majority of people who actually know what they are talking about would not come on a forum and put there views and try and teach as they would rather do it in real life, which is why I will not be coming on here much longer because of this, if I want to learn then clearly I am at a stump when it comes to certain things in this forum just because there will always be someone right there who is going to say “that’s just stupid” Why should anyone waste there time on here trying to enlighten and teach and SHOW that things aren’t just how you perceive them when that person will just get bashed down and told to get out of this forum?

I myself have made a topic of my views and FACTS yet nearly all of the FACTS that I made were bashed down on this forum, yet no one said but why? But how? Oh really? NOT ONE, so again I ask what is the point in this forum? To lose the hours in the day because you have nothing else to do? Or to LEARN?

If it’s to learn then I’m disappointed in the response that I got when I posted facts.

Also I am disappointed when saw someone trying to tell people about this amazing thing she/he had been doing and just get dragged down, THEN get shoved out of the forum have a bunch of people bash this person in off topic. Weather you disagree with that person or not it is barbaric and retarded to go and make people against this person just because you feel you cant handle something said when you did not even read it. Are the people who do these things really going to be trusted in what they say in the future? Yet they are then ones who own the try and put there words all over the forum and dominate in and bash anyone who brings something new to it. Are they going to be respected? Why sort to these childish things!?!

I wish people were more opened minded! We live in a society where people accept naked women f**king guys on TV where your 5 year old kids can watch while daddies asleep, yet you can’t accept someone’s Facts, studies and help to the herp world?

How small of the people who can’t open there minds wider then there ass holes.

Don’t bother reply as it will be pointless on your part as I will not listen to people who will once again try to drag me down for putting my views like they seem to love doing to everyone else.

Do not debate something you don’t want to learn or listen too.

Anyway as I said, I wont be coming on this forum much anymore it’s disappointed me so much. I’m sure I can find better things on other sites, as well of out of herp books made by people who know facts and where I can learn without trying to sift the crap out of my sand.

If anyone wants to have group chats about reptile or even amphibian (as I’m open to all things) related subjects that don’t involve people bashing each other then contact me by pm and we can make some kind on yahoo/MSN chat.

I would be very interested also maybe one day in making a society for reptiles where people can meet up. I will not let mindless people run the herp world.

What I said is not to damage anyone’s “reputation” or this site. However you perceive it

Matt

See less See more
#2 ·
im with you on this one.
I was one comment away from starting a "right im off and this is what i think of .." thread.
But the fact is........I feel so much more intelegent than the ppl you are refering to that I feel it would be silly to let thier ignorance put me off what is otherwise [and certainely has the potential to be] one of the best forums anywhere on any subject.

A couple of the people involved in bashing this last guy i felt are generally really cool ppl.. but were going on what another said and deciding thier views on that rather than the actual comments... clearly there was one or maybe 2 main ppl in this last one...but theres about a dozen people here [not necesarily regular users] whos attitutes in general i think stink.

Once again though must say... i feel superior to these ppl and want to stick around if nothing else to see them eventually put down..either at my hands or another, I also think its important...as this does happen to stick around for the newbies sakes...often a newb posts and the 1st 3 0r 4 ppl who reply are the arseholes... if number 5 didnt come in followed by 6,7,8 and 9 that person would not only **** off never to return but also be a little heartbroken by thew blatant dissrespect and lack of even the trace of a compasionate bone,hair or heaven forbid a fingertip in thier hole damn body.

Anyway, nort wanting to bring this forum down but as from now im gona do whatever i can, ill be up all night fact gathering if need be, the next blind arsehole here is gona be made to look like it exactly that.

So lets hope everyone plays nicely.

#3 ·
Isn't it depressing that the close minded'ness of others can stunt the learning of those actually willing to accept others point of views. Since i joined this forum, and the others i frequent, i've learnt so much about reptiles, espeically those i dont keep that i never would have known otherwise.
Before i came online to verify what a pet store owner had told me i was close to planning a big mixed species amphibian tank, and as soon as i came online, i realised how stupid that man was suggesting i put horned frogs, toads salamanders and all kinds of tree frogs together. Since i learned the problems with mixing, i am dead against it, and i would like to think that many a time i have coherently attempted to answer peoples questions regarding it and put people off it. On a number of occasions i have recieved Pms saying how good they thought my replies were, and its nice to think that people appreciate and are learning what i say, in the same way i learned.

I will say please do not leave, to both of you, but if you feel that you cant learn here anymore, then you would just be wasting your time in staying. I wont be bullied to leave by peoples views, and i hope others can rise above it too, else we'll just be left with a forum full of close minded argumentative people who spend all day bashing other peoples ideas and putting them down.

#4 ·
bye

The problem is not confined to particular members, either.
Posting unconscionable threads whose sole purpose is to gang bash a sincere poster is one thing.
That the forum moderator not only fails to moderate but actually encourages and participates in this behaviour is a guarantee that it will continue.
That is why both danceswithsavs and i have sought a new forum where the moderators actively prohibit this sort of thing. The result is self evident.
The new forum is well moderated and has live chat via web-based IRC or with an IRC client.
Here is the link:
http://www.reptilerooms.com/PNphpBB2+main.html
No such behaviour is permitted there. The forum mods value the forum.
The information deleted from this forum is now available there.

#6 ·
now now invex, some people just dont like arguing matters.

But if u want everyone to agree with everything thats posted on the forums flake then i dont think any forum is the right place for u as theres always going to be debates on every subject.

#7 ·
I dont think Flake or anyone else here including myself wants everyone to agree, more just be open minded about the opinions of others.

#8 ·
Reminds me of this town I live near try to say anything or do anything different people insult you and laugh at you, I was shocked at the narrow mindness of some people on here. I don't think it's fair to tell someone who's been making something for decades that his/hers design is wrong.
It hurts people who take pride in their knowledge mine is fish and If I tried to help someone and they brushed me aside instead turning to ask someone who had no clue I'd be very annoyed It happens to me in petshops sometimes,Ok I've only had my fish tank for 4 tropical, 5-6 coldwater I'm always amazed how clueles some who sell fish really are. Telling some a 20lt tank is ok for an Anglefish is cruel these require at min. a 60-70 litre. I'll admit i still look to Tetra for advice but no one knows everything and pretending they do is very childish....

#9 ·
Blazey, if they were debates, no one would be complaining. A debate is a discussion, what been happening on here are just down right rude arguments resorting to personal insults and the like.

I used to really enjoy coming on this forum and learning new things, but to be honest I only ever come on here when I am bored now, and it doesnt relieve my boredom. It used to be a well thought of forum, but everybody knows its reputation now, and thats a shame, because it stops members of other forums joining who may be able to post informative information.

I think the mods need to have a firmer grip on what goes on. This should be a forum where people of all ages can come and learn, but if my child came on here and was faced with people calling each other shrivelled up old whores, and loads of unecessary swearing and insults, I would be apalled. There is none of this language tolerated on many other Reptile forums, because the mod teams dont allow it, and they reinforce it. They stop these kinds of threads before they are allowed to escalate, but here, they are allowed to go on and see where they go before they are locked. Its kinda ridiculous that people who are here to learn have to put up with it. I dont get what happened. A couple months ago this was a great place. Has gone downhill so much lately.

So yeah, members - stop being so bloody petty, get a life and have an adult conversation about things, not everyone is going to agree with you, thats life. Mods - get a grip on what is happening! It doesnt say alot for a forum when things are allowed to escalate as far as they have been. And its not as if there arent enough of you.

All I can say is Thank god there are other decent forums about.

#10 ·
just had a peep at the linked site thats so good and the first thing i see i some one telling all that emerald tree boas and green tree pythons eat birds! enough said.

#11 ·
lol...I assume they do not then? [I also assume we are talking about in the wild]

#12 ·
politicians shout arguements at eachother all the time and label it as debating.
Most of them don't get along when arguing about issues to do with government policies but im sure when it comes to them talking about normal issues they dont let it get personal.

i think some people. like the people who decided to talk about training boscs, are trying to see some people disagreeing with the idea as being personal, and it isnt, its just disagreeing with a practice that is unneccessary to us.

And personally. as a fellow bosc keeper, i dont see why i shouldnt have had my say on the matter

#13 ·
DEANandTRESE said:
lol...I assume they do not then? [I also assume we are talking about in the wild]
wild or captive they will of course take what they are offered as it were,however stomach sampling of wc etb and gtp revealed that rodents form around 97% of prey items with birds/lizards/frogs making up the rest.
regards gaz

#14 ·
did i miss something?

i think i may have missed some posts!? no-one deserves to be slagged off because at the end of the day every one has an opinion (some more opinionated than others!) Whether that opinion is right or wrong should not be a matter of debate...
from what i have read people have been insulting others? people are never going to agree, that is just the way it is but resulting to 'insults' is never the way to solve an argument i haven't seen any of this but then i haven't been around long.
whether you have been looking after reps for years or just starting out i still think that this forum provides a service that many people find very helpful. without sites such as this (even with the insults) there would be a lot of misinformed rep owners.
people should hear all points and then decide on a happy medium that would suit them and their rep..
I will continue to use the site quite happily. i may not ever start a topic but i will give advice when sought. whether this advice is right/wrong it will still be the best that i know...gained from the past ten years of keeping various reptiles...
However like i have already said there is no call for insults. EVER. :evil:

#15 ·
another snippet for you all,American sites are heavily moderated for one simple reason,they used to be very argumentative places,far worse than any UK site,eventually some one who was flamed sued the site operators for allowing it to happen,with the inevitable result that nothing is tolerated anymore in the way of argument,unfortunately this means all debate is effectively stiffled.
regards gaz

#16 ·
unfortunately i take a different view with debating as i follow an interest in politics and law and always am enlightened to the wonderful world of politicians making eachother look bad for the sake of getting their point across but i think the problem some people are having is that they are taking remarks seriously and holding grudges which isnt what disagreeing about theories about reptiles is about.

Not everyone agrees with boscs kissing their owners to show they want food, as its not in an animals nature to do so whether intelligent or not. The fact that some people are disagreeing and expressing that on the forums isnt trying to say that they dislike the person who is saying it, just that they dislike or disagree with the arguement.

There is no point of forums in my opinion if they arent there for discussion and debate, because most forums are there for that very purpose.

A person cannot learn without listening to another persons argument, whether its put across nicely or nastily, and a person can not grow if they aren't ever knocked back.

#17 ·
Blazey said:
politicians shout arguements at eachother all the time and label it as debating.
Most of them don't get along when arguing about issues to do with government policies but im sure when it comes to them talking about normal issues they dont let it get personal. I Agree with this bit in theory

i think some people. like the people who decided to talk about training boscs, are trying to see some people disagreeing with the idea as being personal, and it isnt, it shouldnt be no... its just disagreeing with a practice that is unneccessary to us. lol

And personally. as a fellow bosc keeper, i dont see why i shouldnt have had my say on the matter
you had more than your say though, you did your best to turn everyone else against this person in a spitefull manner and when i defended his ideals you turned on me and attacked me about unrelated matters showing exactly how personal you yourself took it.

If you really see it that way Blazey then I DEFINETLY THINK ITS NOT ATALL WORTH ARGUING ABOUT.

#18 ·
Blazey said:
unfortunately i take a different view with debating as i follow an interest in politics and law and always am enlightened to the wonderful world of politicians making eachother look bad for the sake of getting their point across but i think the problem some people are having is that they are taking remarks seriously and holding grudges which isnt what disagreeing about theories about reptiles is about.
So you would agree then that opening another thread in another forum to make said person look bad would be childish?
Not everyone agrees with boscs kissing their owners to show they want food, as its not in an animals nature to do so whether intelligent or not. The fact that some people are disagreeing and expressing that on the forums isnt trying to say that they dislike the person who is saying it, just that they dislike or disagree with the arguement. you called him a nutcase blazey

There is no point of forums in my opinion if they arent there for discussion and debate, because most forums are there for that very purpose. agree totally

A person cannot learn without listening to another persons argument, I agree... and I put it to practise whether its put across nicely or nastily, and a person can not grow if they aren't ever knocked back.

im glad you said that... I can see you making a great polotician blazey.

#19 ·
i didnt make this thread did i? i let it drop, its flake who made it then didnt bother to replying to any of this.

I have better things to do than argue about this stuff but flake made the thread on every section so they obviously want a reply without backing themselves up.

If it was upto me all these stupid threads in every section they've made would just get deleted and let the issues drop.
Im not a racist but im not willing to argue about a point some americans made when we're all usually completely against american views on reptiles anyway.

#20 ·
See, ill admit i dont know about what views americans have that we dont agree with, i would like to know though if anyone will fill me in.

Also ive only seen this in the lizard section [which is where i think we are right now, i hope lol] i agree its pointless makin it in all sections, but not really offensive.

Also i think they were in canada, and as any canadian will state
WE ARE OUR OWN COUNTRY.......AND IT IS A PROPER ONE SO **** YOU" LOL jk by the way.

#21 ·
I tend not to get involved in 'Great Debate' topics as I haven't the experience for a starter, and like most other newbies I joined to tap into the wealth of knowledge that other people have, some people on here know more than I have ever chance of mentally retaining
I'm a wimp I often dont post questions I would like the answers for because TBH I'm a sensitive soul and having the p*ss ripped out of me isn't something I would like..... I too want to thank the people who have answered my numpty posts and given me help (we all have to post the duffer question from time to time)
....as long as our ars*hole point downwards there are some people who will always agree to disagree, but reading other peoples point of veiw is interesting if only helping me to form my own opinions.

#22 ·
yeh thats a good point, like ive said we dont want ppl to ask questions cos they are affraid to be put down, i felt that way when i joined here just 7 months ago, i was faced with some less than pleasant replies straight away but i could pick out the losers and being fairly inteligent i can spot a person who is just dissagreeing for the heck of it fairly easily and in turn a blind eye to it and just listen to those who genuinely want to help.
I ama genuine person who also wants nothing more than to help where i can and i hope ppl arent put off by my slightly higher than average level of sarcasm, im sorry but sometimes its necesary.

#23 ·
i am a member of various sites across the world and they are all pretty timid places where ppl are quite obviously afraid to put their opinions forward,good or bad for fear of litigation or whatever.
this site however is most certainly alive and kicking and i say thatnk god for people like blazey who come out fighting whether for the right reasons or wrong,it gets every body thinking and thats the only way to progress in the world of human beings,we quite simply are not geared up to be nicey nicey to every body,so if anyone wants a nice timid site where sod all happens then off to a yank site with you,personally i shall stay where the entertainment and ideas are,for example reticulatus came out with something the other day that initially i disagreed with but he persisted and i got my thinking cap on and now i may start to change my breeding strategy slightly to see if his ideas apply to the species i work with,this is how change comes about,we need the blazeys and all the 0thers kicking and scraeming and poking peoples eyes out simply because people dont take notice of anything less.
if ya cant stand the heat stay out of the kitchen,and its in the kitchen where all the cookings done innit?
regards gaz

#24 ·
yeh but [i think your talking about the cooling period topic]
that was a nice, non offencive thread...for the most part :)

Still i can hold my own also so dont really mind the shit that happens, altho when u see ppl leaving cos of it and others saying its putting them off i think its going too far.

#25 ·
well maybe but its better than having the place go stagnant,some sites i use only get half a dozen posts/week and thats on ALL the topics together!

#26 ·
fresh content is good....
Not wanting to bring it up again for arguments sdake but i thought thats exactly what the training bosc thread was

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.