Reptile Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know, it's being despised and discouraged, but I've always been feeding my snakes with living rodents (mostly rats - mouses are mostly bones and skin, and hamsters are fur and bones... not much to eat for a snake) and I kinda don't understand all this fuss about it - I've never bought an animal that was loved, just breeded to become a food. Sad destiny, but damn, my snake has to eat too.
But that was in Poland. I moved to England (Devon, to be exact) and all of a sudden it became damn hard to get any living rodent at all. I have one snake here with me that looked as despised as I did when I tried to feed him with unfrozen, dead mouse. He just won't eat it. I tried to wait a bit but Regises are known for being stubborn and capricious.

I like my snake and I don't want him to starve, but so far all I could think of was getting a mouse from different pet shops and hope that they'll forget about me eventually so I could return there and buy some again. It's annoying and I feel like criminal (though I know what I do is not exactly illegal).

Is there any breeding farm in England that would sell living rodents for food? Just like this, straight to the point.

Cause if I won't find any I'll have to make one... =='
And I'm not a big fan of rats, so I'm really not looking forward to it...

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Yes, I know, it's being despised and discouraged, but I've always been feeding my snakes with living rodents (mostly rats - mouses are mostly bones and skin, and hamsters are fur and bones... not much to eat for a snake) and I kinda don't understand all this fuss about it - I've never bought an animal that was loved, just breeded to become a food. Sad destiny, but damn, my snake has to eat too.
But that was in Poland. I moved to England (Devon, to be exact) and all of a sudden it became damn hard to get any living rodent at all. I have one snake here with me that looked as despised as I did when I tried to feed him with unfrozen, dead mouse. He just won't eat it. I tried to wait a bit but Regises are known for being stubborn and capricious.

I like my snake and I don't want him to starve, but so far all I could think of was getting a mouse from different pet shops and hope that they'll forget about me eventually so I could return there and buy some again. It's annoying and I feel like criminal (though I know what I do is not exactly illegal).

Is there any breeding farm in England that would sell living rodents for food? Just like this, straight to the point.

Cause if I won't find any I'll have to make one... =='
And I'm not a big fan of rats, so I'm really not looking forward to it...

Hi mate welcome to the forum

Live feeding is frowned upon in England, pet shops are not meant to sell mice/rats etc knowing it is for live food- they can be prosecuted.

You best way to carry on feeding live is to raise you own live food- through breeding.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Um, yes, sorry, hello.

You best way to carry on feeding live is to raise you own live food- through breeding.
And that's what I find riddiculus - I know next to nothing about breeding rodents, and I'm almost sure they won't have an easy life with me since I don't even like them. Wouldn't it be better for them to be raised by someone who knows a thing or two about them? What they like to eat, for example? I never even cared...
If the main idea was "if you breed your own rodents then you'll have no heart to put them into terrarium" then someone know about ppl who don't like rodents (like me) as much as I know about rodents themself.

But well, if there's no other choice =='

1 - 5 of 5 Posts