107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you buy your glass from?
DIY stores or online?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
local glass cutter can do you whatever size you want..have a look in the yellow pages...they can do most things depending on what your requirements are.

·
Registered
10,074 Posts
B&Q have some i think!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you want glass for a home made viv i have found the best/cheapest way is this,
Go to a glazier who does double glazed units and ask them what the do with the ones they take out? most strip the glass (6mm) and will be more than happy to cut it to size and sell at scrap prices.If you ask them for some of the carbon paper they use its very simple to take the sharp edges off the sides and make it run nicley in the track .
I recently did 4 3x3x2 size vivs this way for around £20!!!
Its a bit more work but i have found it too be half the price and does the job really well!!!

·
Premium Member
15,027 Posts
If you want glass for a home made viv i have found the best/cheapest way is this,
Go to a glazier who does double glazed units and ask them what the do with the ones they take out? most strip the glass (6mm) and will be more than happy to cut it to size and sell at scrap prices.If you ask them for some of the carbon paper they use its very simple to take the sharp edges off the sides and make it run nicley in the track .
I recently did 4 3x3x2 size vivs this way for around £20!!!
Its a bit more work but i have found it too be half the price and does the job really well!!!
Good tip Si! I'll be looking at getting some 6mm tuff glass soon and that could save me a packet... only problem is I might have to shop around :wink:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
A mate of mine said he bought a cheap coffee table for £15 from Ikea, took the toughened glass out and had it chopped to size at the local glaziers for a couple of quid. He's always been a tight-arse though! :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts