Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was just wondering where people buy their lino or slate type flooring for leopard geckos from? And are heat mats still effective underneath these types of flooring? Thanks :2thumb:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Try b&q or some DIY/home wear shop. You might be able to get cut offs of Lino for cheap. Slate is brilliant but you MUST have your mat linked to a thermostat for slate. Slate conducts heat extremely well and can burn your reptile if not monitored, I'm speaking from experience as my Leo wouldn't go anywhere neat her slate when i didn't have a stat, I then touched the slate and it was to hot for me to even touch. So yea thermostat always!!

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I got my adhesive lino tiles from wilkinson. The heat mats work perfectly under them. I stuck mine on the shed roof to cook for a few days to get rid of any smell during the summer, but guess they could be stuck on a radiator if yours are on.

·
Registered
536 Posts
if you have BM store near you 18x18" lino tiles 8 pack( i think) 4.99, various effects including slate

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Try b&q or some DIY/home wear shop. You might be able to get cut offs of Lino for cheap. Slate is brilliant but you MUST have your mat linked to a thermostat for slate. Slate conducts heat extremely well and can burn your reptile if not monitored, I'm speaking from experience as my Leo wouldn't go anywhere neat her slate when i didn't have a stat, I then touched the slate and it was to hot for me to even touch. So yea thermostat always!!
Thermostats are absolutely essential irrespective of the substrate being used (indeed, they should be used for all artificial heat sources).

OP: I use slate roof tiles for my leo vivs, which I nabbed for free when a relative was having their house reroofed. It might be worth contacting local roofing companies to see you if can blag any surplus / broken tiles (for the latter, just make sure you smooth off any sharp / rough edges before using them).

Reactions: sheena is a gecko

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
OP: I use slate roof tiles for my leo vivs, which I nabbed for free when a relative was having their house reroofed. It might be worth contacting local roofing companies to see you if can blag any surplus / broken tiles (for the latter, just make sure you smooth off any sharp / rough edges before using them).
I use slate tiles too, I work on sites sometimes, so I can blag them easy, just wash, disinfect and sand the edges as mentioned above
They spread the heat evenly and I think (hope) my leos love them
keeps their claws less sharp too - my first leo was not kept in the best conditions and has lost a lot of toes, so when I got another I was surprised how sharp their claws are

·
Registered
536 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts