Reptile Forums banner

which 1st lizard

304 views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Jamesferrassie 
#1 ·
I am very interested in owning a lizard. I am looking 2 obtain as much info as i can b4 i make any type of purchase. Besides a Beardie what would b the best lizard 2 have as a 1st. I have children so i want 1 that wud b ok 4 them 2 observe & poss handle. I like the idea of having more than 1 in a tank cos i like seeing lizards 2gether so info on that wud be fab.

I want to make sure that i am prepared for everything & obtain knowledge 2 start & 2 gain more knowledge upon owning

Many Thanks

#2 ·
Its all personal opinion to be honest..

My first was a true fire skink...

Others go for Crested or Leopard geckos... I havent had leo's but I know that cresties are a delight to care for...

Ultimately, research the available lizards and make an informed personal choice :)

#3 ·
leopard geckos are normaly classed as the best first rep to have . you can find great care sheets on here . theres one as a sticky called sleepydee , click the thread and click there web site . Gives you all you need to know . Also nuttybabz and mal have care sheets that are very usefull on leos . good luck in what you decide

#5 ·
Personally for the character of the reptile and the easiness of looking after them you have these in mind :

Beardies (but you have already stated no)
African Fat tails (similar to leos but need more humidity)
Leopard geckos (Love the cuddles)
Crested geckos (this can be a little jumpy though)

All quite common on market, pretty easy to care for and can be tamed down for you and your kids to handle. But your first reptile is one you feel you can look after, handle and what takes your fancy x

#6 ·
Agree with what has been said above. Just to add though, since this is your first lizard, most keepers will warm you to keep one on it's own. A few reasons for this. It allows you to see exactly what the new pet is eating as well as bowel movements. Males cannot be kept together due to fighting. Males and females are not ideal to be kept together for first time owners, as they will more than likely breed. The male will also pester the female if kept together all year round. Females can be kept together but their is still a chance of them fighting or bullying over food. As a first time keeper you may not be aware of the signs of fighting, and bullying over food isn't always obvious.

#8 ·
everyone has said the obvious "starter" lizards.
I have recently been looking into these myself, Mountain Horned Dragons.

Seem like great characters and fairly easy to look after. defo do some research though :)

You could also look into Rankins Dragons, like bearded dragons but smaller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.