Reptile Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, recently i posted these pics talking about the eyes issue of this gecko :

The female (mother) is a SHT het Albino (dunno which) and the male (father) is a Bell Albino. But i know that mixing different Albino together's not "good" (leading to nothing i guess) so since that baby ends to be an Albino, female was probably het bell. Then comes the question, why the eyes are not pink(ish) AT ALL? They're just like a regular gecko, non Albino..?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think it's gone on page 2 or 3 already...

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
This baby looks to be visually albino, which means, if your male is bell, your female must be HET bell to produce this.
Making this one Bell.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The male is a Bell Albino, indeed. The female is het Albino i think. But which Albino? Not sure it's Bell... I looked over plenty of baby Albino-Hybino and those who looked like mine where always tremper...

Though, as said, it shouldn't have those dark eyes, which can be seen only on a Rainwater... So i still don't know what to think. I'd say that baby CAN'T BE a bell with these eyes. Definitly. If you think it can, then explain the eye color...

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
If the baby is visual albino the female MUST be HET Bell.

The albino strains aren't compatible with one another.
So a Bell x Tremper won't not give you a visual baby.
It would have been a non albino.
You won't get a Rainwater from a Bell.
It's a totally different gene.

Eye colour is not a 100% way of defining an albino morph.
With that pairing, if this baby is albino is MUST be Bell.
Unless you are mistaken with your Male Leos morph.
He could be Bell HET Tremper, and your female could be HET Tremper. Which would make this baby Tremper HET Bell, which isn't ideal.
It could be the same for Rainwater.

You'll never be 100% unless you test bred the baby.

Eye colour is also affected by incubation temperatures.
I had a baby hatch with super dark eyes, and now she's got Tremper eyes.
Eye colour is changeable.

Reactions: Denbyc12

·
Registered
685 Posts
If the parents carried both albino genes say bell and rainwater the offspring wil be distorted and have extra/ missing limbs. This isn't the case.

The offspring HAS to be bell otherwise it wouldn't be albino, and if you're sure the patent is albino then org parent must carry the bell gene.

Some cases the eye pigment takes a while to settle down. I believed for a week I produced a Tremper eclipse since when born the eyes were solid red, now they're greyish yellow

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eyes are darker at lower or higher temp?

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
Eyes are darker at lower or higher temp?
It can be affected either way, normally higher I believe.
Denby has been experimenting with higher temps, I've been at the lower end, and both have had affects on eye pigment for a while.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I have been incubating at higher temps and the eyes and skin pigment has been more higher the eyes went red, low temps make dark colours I believe so yours could be effected by that

·
Grinning Gecko
3,662 Posts
If the parents carried both albino genes say bell and rainwater the offspring wil be distorted and have extra/ missing limbs. This isn't the case.
Utter rubbish. There are thousands of geckos carrying two and sometimes all three albino genes. They are one of the biggest pains in the leopard gecko breeding world as without test breeding you cant identify them. Such animals have seriously damaged some breeding projects when an undisclosed albino gene has come in to play. Carrying multiple albino genes does not cause any physical defect. Yes animals carrying multiple albino genes on the odd occasion may show some form of issue but in reality this is likely to have been caused by another factor. If multiple albino genes caused such problems the captive leopard gecko population would have a very high number of defective animals. I wouldnt want it to happen and it sounds harsh but if carrying multiple albino genes caused problems it would save breeders years of work in the efforts to avoid multihet albinos.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I can see where you're coming from Mal, I withdraw that statement

1 - 11 of 11 Posts