Reptile Forums banner

which feeders ok for regular?

443 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  foofighter2016 
#1 ·
which of the less common feeders are safe for regular eating (more than just a treat) which of the worms etc ? want to add more variety than roaches locusts and mealworms. hate crickets. cheers

#4 ·
Depends on the reptile/amphibian I’d say.
Cresties more so crickets.
Leo’s/fat tails, crickets, mealworms.
Chameleons, locust.
They’ll all try other bugs though, but they like there own things usually.
I don’t think there is a general better feeder. As completely depends on what is being fed. Each has its own I’d say with the experience I have..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Generally speaking, and assuming that feeder insects are looked after and fed/kept hydrated before being used, Dubia roaches or nymphs are amongst the best feeders you can use. Calci worms are another very good staple, crickets and locusts are good, as are morio worms, mealworms are ok... very rough way to look at it but thats the general idea. You have to think about what it is you are feeding them too though. Thats the most important part. You cant just give the same range to any species.

For example, beetle grubs, for some reptiles they shouldnt be fed, for others they make excellent treats. Always feed according to the species you are feeding to.

#9 ·
Worms in general tend to be a little higher in fat, morioworms are fine for regular use but i wouldnt use it as a solid staple on its own.
Waxworms for example are very fatty though and are really only treat food
Hornworms arent massively fatty from what I remember, I think a similar bracket to Silkworms? Pretty sure you can feed regularly.

It really does depend what reptile you are feeding though...which I think still hasnt been answered?

#13 ·
With a Berber, youve got a couple of extra options..
If you can find someone that breds and sells snails they will eat then, dubia roaches are a good call, as are earthworms and silkworms (but theyre expensive unless you rear yourself, which isnt that simple).
They'll eat beetles too, woodlice (often used as curator bugs in bioactive) and obviously crickets and locusts and morio worms wtc.

A lot of people would feed pinkies, but if you are going to i would keep it as a very rare treat, and you'll see stuff about catfood but i would avoid it and heavily favour as good a mix of insects as you can.

#14 ·
cheers mate, I hate crickets and need to stay away from too humid /mold spores so trying to vary his diet any way can . He not interested in beetles . He loves spring greens and bit of veg and saw snakes and adders video about cracking an egg over veg mixing it he does love egg but I give as a treat and just the white

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.