Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm trying to get hold of a Par38 Halogen bulb for my bearded dragon and I'm quite confused on which one to go for.

I see in most posts to go for a flood bulb but I keep finding most bulbs are stated as Par38 Halogen spotlights and have around a 25 degree angle. I even found a par38 halogen listed as flood but it was a 30 degree angle, is the extra 5 degrees making it a flood...?

The only ones I can find in local stores are homebase which doesn't say anything about angles and whether its a flood:
https://www.homebase.co.uk/halogen-par38-spotlight-es-80w-light-bulb_p343062

I have even gone through online stores and most branded ones don't even say flood either.

It would be great if another owner has any advice on what they have.

Thanks!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would personally go for an arcadia basking bulb as your beardie will get uva from that too. Aracadia do both standard basking bulbs and halogen ones. Just make sure it goes in a ceramic fitting as it will get very hot. Hope that helps

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would personally go for an arcadia basking bulb as your beardie will get uva from that too. Aracadia do both standard basking bulbs and halogen ones. Just make sure it goes in a ceramic fitting as it will get very hot. Hope that helps
Thanks for the reply cegriffy.

Is the Arcadia Halogen bulb a not spotlight instead of a flood light?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
"spotlights" are fine, its any Intense, or focused spot bulbs that you want to avoid, 25 degree or 30 degree is what you want with a spot light.

Flood types are also ok, but work far better with a reflector hood (indeed, it will struggle a little without, the heat/light is too widely angled)

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
The halogens are confusing to categorise! They are not tight beam as you can get but they are not wide flood.

As such, you can see the projection of heat via the projection of visible light over the basking stack. The 50w has a slightly narrower beam than the 75 or 100w

I prefer to use a 100w and then let the dimmer do the work. I know it can get to temp if anything goes wrong then, plenty of 'umph' and over a wide area,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"spotlights" are fine, its any Intense, or focused spot bulbs that you want to avoid, 25 degree or 30 degree is what you want with a spot light.

Flood types are also ok, but work far better with a reflector hood (indeed, it will struggle a little without, the heat/light is too widely angled)
Thanks Azastral. I've just purchased a 75w Arcadia Halogen for my 4x2x2ft. I have a dimmable stat and the bulbs say theyre dimmable so I should be able to get good temperatures with it.

Thanks for all your help, guys : victory:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The halogens are confusing to categorise! They are not tight beam as you can get but they are not wide flood.

As such, you can see the projection of heat via the projection of visible light over the basking stack. The 50w has a slightly narrower beam than the 75 or 100w

I prefer to use a 100w and then let the dimmer do the work. I know it can get to temp if anything goes wrong then, plenty of 'umph' and over a wide area,
Oops, posted without refreshing so didnt see your reply John!

Would you say a 75w will provide enough visible light for the Beardy throughout the tank?

·
Premium Member
7,484 Posts
alongside you UV it should, yes

Oops, posted without refreshing so didnt see your reply John!

Would you say a 75w will provide enough visible light for the Beardy throughout the tank?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I was also worried about light as I found I had to put food closer to basking light to get dragons to eat all.
I am setting up a 1,000 lumen LED at the opposite end to the to the basking this gives no heat but increases light = to 75w bulb, I hope this will increase vision allowing me to move food away from basking area.
do you see any problem with this.
The good point being i can use a dawn to dusk controller to emulate sunrise and set with it

·
Registered
370 Posts
I was also worried about light as I found I had to put food closer to basking light to get dragons to eat all.
I am setting up a 1,000 lumen LED at the opposite end to the to the basking this gives no heat but increases light = to 75w bulb, I hope this will increase vision allowing me to move food away from basking area.
do you see any problem with this.
The good point being i can use a dawn to dusk controller to emulate sunrise and set with it
1000 lumens isn't that bright most bulbs are higher than that the jungle dawn for instance is 2400 lumens and I think the spot lamp version is higher...I used led floods for ambient lighting choose ones that are 6500k and at least 2400 lumens This should help simulate a sunny day and help with encouraging basking and feeding

·
Administrator
17,055 Posts
1000 lumens isn't that bright most bulbs are higher than that the jungle dawn for instance is 2400 lumens and I think the spot lamp version is higher...I used led floods for ambient lighting choose ones that are 6500k and at least 2400 lumens This should help simulate a sunny day and help with encouraging basking and feeding
I Googled that purely for interest.

100w incandescent bulb = 1600 lumens
75w energy saving bulb = 1100 lumens

·
Registered
370 Posts
I Googled that purely for interest.

100w incandescent bulb = 1600 lumens
75w energy saving bulb = 1100 lumens
Halogens tend to be about the 600-900 mark

·
Registered
46 Posts
Illuminance Example 120,000 lux Brightest sunlight 111,000 lux Bright sunlight 20,000 lux Shade illuminated by entire clear blue sky, midday 1,000 - 2,000 lux Typical overcast day, midday <200 lux Extreme of thickest storm clouds, midday 400 lux Sunrise or sunset on a clear day (ambient illumination) 40 lux Fully overcast, sunset/sunrise <1 lux Extreme of thickest storm clouds, sunset/rise
I used the above chart
i started with a 1,000 lux 10w led to see and there is a big difference to me in the amount of light on the back side of the vivarium.
I thought I would start low and see the effect i had and if it changed my dragons behavior, i have 6 of these and at 10w £1.68 each could use 2 or 3 in each vivarium if needed.
these are 6500k white/cool light

·
Registered
370 Posts
Illuminance Example 120,000 lux Brightest sunlight 111,000 lux Bright sunlight 20,000 lux Shade illuminated by entire clear blue sky, midday 1,000 - 2,000 lux Typical overcast day, midday <200 lux Extreme of thickest storm clouds, midday 400 lux Sunrise or sunset on a clear day (ambient illumination) 40 lux Fully overcast, sunset/sunrise <1 lux Extreme of thickest storm clouds, sunset/rise
I used the above chart
i started with a 1,000 lux 10w led to see and there is a big difference to me in the amount of light on the back side of the vivarium.
I thought I would start low and see the effect i had and if it changed my dragons behavior, i have 6 of these and at 10w £1.68 each could use 2 or 3 in each vivarium if needed.
these are 6500k white/cool light

That's a good chart and goes to show how bright the sun actually is in comparison to what we actually provide as keepers
Hmm but I wonder how bright you could take it as keepers without saying your animals in a captive setting

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.