Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently aquired a Syrian hamster that a friend took off of some lads that were planning to let it go.
He is currently living in a cage that my friend had spare after her hamster died. However I feel it is too small.
I can remember cages I had when I was younger that were multi level, had room for a larger wheel and extra toys. Plastic shelves.

Now all I seem to find are two story wire shelved cages. Or cages with tubes. Tubes I must add that Spirit would get stuck in. He is still a baby and is not full grown, but would already get himself wedged.

Idealy I want something at least 3 stories high. No tubes that my boy could get stuck in. Solid plastic shelves. Room for a large wheel OR his flying saucer seeing as he likes running on that.
So far I have found nothing I deem as large enough. And the ones I have do not have large enough shelves, he could simply jump off of the top shelf and land at the bottom. Which seeing as he is a very silly ham I am sure he would try.

Thanks.

Em

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
First one he would get stuck. Ones with wood he would eat, and I use peat as a substrate so he can dig :) which could possibly wreck the wood. Liking the rat one best so far, would offer plenty of space for him. And if I added more shelves with ladders it would probably keep him occupied. Like them to be able to climb.

He has a lot of out of cage time on the floor, or in his play pen with all his toys. Supervised of course.

Not worried about price <3 He deserves everything.

Love the plastic based with wooden interior. But think he could probably get stuck in the house openings -blush- He isn't very stream lined to say the least. Not fat, just a lot of muscle.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Ones with wood he would eat, and I use peat as a substrate so he can dig :) which could possibly wreck the wood.
I can't believe again you are sounding proud about supporting the destruction of peat habitats for your pet to have a dig in :bash:

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:bash: You have no idea where I get the stuff from. Where did I state that I was proud also?

One more thing... What do you think the car you drive is doing, plastic packaging, wood chips, paper... .Pretty much anything you use every day to be honest.

I have allergies so can not use the norm of shavings or other similar domestic pet bedding. I have to use eco earth (coir) for my geckos, and aubiose for my snakes.
And will never switch to shavings because of this. When my mother bought us our first hamsters (at 4 & 5) we used shavings. My aunt suggested changing to peat because it was either that or get rid of the hamsters.

For ham it's either peat or eco earth. Think of something else that is fine for allergies and asthma, and I will happily swap.

And as I've just read your other post, I don't eat animals because it goes against my morals. Not ethics. I could never eat something that I may have helped raise. So I stopped eating them. I wouldn't want to eat the lamb we raised.

Suppose everyone should stop using sphagnum moss too.

Anyway. This thread was about a new cage, not my choices in substrate.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
I know this cage is only single storey but this is a good size for a syrian and a very decent price :) I use them for my syrians. You can get 8" wodent wheel or 12" flying saucers in them easy, you could add those wooden chinchilla shelves and ladders, hanging toys/chews/hammocks to make use of the space.

·
Registered
11,670 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
My Syrian has a Savic Ruffy. I have put an extra shelf in and he has tunnels on the ground level (that he has moved in to!). I did originally try a rat cage but found that I had to put so many shelfs in for safety that it really restricted access.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I have been through sooooo many hamster cages its not even funny....

Steadfastly my favourite have been those made by FOP...

My Altogether favourite is the FOP Gimmey...

-deep tray for bedding at the bottom
-shelves can be moved to your liking, i fit one of the 12" safari wheels in (before i realised how dangerous they were and swapped it for a Silent Spinner)
-the house wasnt awful but tbh i never use them for hamsters anyway, encouragescage rage, same with tubes.
-the shelve was perfect size to fit a big nest, shelves, big sand bath, wooden and rope toys etc.

Fop Criceto Gimmy - Cage Review - Hamster Central

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brilliant. Thank you very much for the helpful posts about cages. Not had pets with fur for a fair few years now and things have changed. Didn't see cages with tubes every where when I last had hams.
Will have a look at the pros and cons of each.
Liking the look of three in particular.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts