Reptile Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, my friend is looking for a snake to keep and he wasnts me to pick him out one and im not sure which to say :? !his experience is that he has had a house gecko, he wants a large snake.. So could i get a varitey of ideas please. Thanks,Joe :D

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I agree Corn or king, but a royal python as a first with no experience may just be to much for him, if he gets one that has the notorious intermitnt feeding responce then he will be pulling his hair out. (Just a thought) its always better to have some experience before you go down that road, but thats not saying they are all like that.

A grey ratsnake would be a good one, great feeders, usualy nice and calm and can grow to a nice size.

or maybe a bull snake, another good one to start with that grows to a good size.

paul.

·
Registered
597 Posts
large snake, totally rule out a burm or retic.....no beginner should have these. for large snake, most people wont agree but my first snake was a red tail boa, they start off at around 16-19 inches and grow to lengths of 9ft but some dont reach that, their growth rate is not too fast and is kinda slow if not powerfed, every boa that i have handled or cared for have been sweet hearts, well there was one that struck at me repeatidly but that was because of previous owner :)
Corns are good starter snakes aswell....
good luck with the decsion :)

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
A male common boa wouldnt be too hard to look after either, large but not overfacing and pretty straightforward in their upkeep.
No point in recommending a king or corn, if he wants a big snake he wont be nterested in something like that.

Id agree with the bullsnake suggestion, nice chunky snakes that tame easily and feed well - plus you can keep them pretty much like any other US colubrid.

·
Registered
324 Posts
well mate a corn or a king would be ideal, with the larger option being a royal python or a cali king. A bull snake is a good idea, quite robost snakes but quite hard to track down in ireland, i think they might order a hatchling or two in from the UK at reptile haven... gotta ask. another snake he could consider could be a pine snake, they are quite large sanke but if he wants like a python or a boa, a royal should be best. maybe a common boa as suggested above, but needs to read up on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.