Reptile Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to corn keeping, although I have been researching and learning about them for the last three months - I purchased Kathy Loves excellent new book and have been lurking on a variety of snake forums.

I used to keep some garter snakes and slow worms when I was a boy but that was over 20 years ago (I am now 33). Recently my son (aged 6) had the pleasure of handling some corns snakes and royal pythons and he was fascinated, so to my surprise my wife suggested that we could get a corn snake.

We have purchased all of the equipment (heatmat, matstat, digital probe thermometer) and clear plastic locking lid tubs (really useful boxes sizes 3L, 9L and 18L) until the corn is big enough for a wooden vivarium.

I have been trying to decide between getting a hatchling, so that we can watch him/her grow and develop and get used to us from the start, or getting a grown on sub-adult, who hopefully can be handled slightly more than a hatchling and who will be a bit calmer and less jumpy than a hatchling.

I now have the offer of a hatchling, a 1 year old corn, or a 2 year old corn.

However I now have a dilema that I do not know which one to get? Anyone give me some useful advice?

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Hi mate, I find that adult corns are a lot easier to handle than hatchings or yearlings. As you mentioned, they tend to move fast and shoot off specially when young.

I keep boids as well, and I find them a lot easier to handle than corns or other similar snakes, and the reason being is that boids tend to be more stationary and prefer to coil up wherevr they can get a good grip, while corns like to shoot off and go forward most og f the time.

I have 2 corns at the mo. One is nearly 2 years old, and is not the best snake to handle (but there are other problems with him which makes me avoid handling too much), but I've got a adult corn who is a beauty and very tame. She's about 6 yo, and is a great snake for kids and whoever wants to handle a tame snake.

·
Registered
301 Posts
out of the three i would pick either the 1y old or 2yr old. hatchlings can be very fast and skitish,so probably wouldn't be the best for your son if he wants to handle it.
also this way,if you liked the idea of your son watching it grow,you would still be able to do this and be able to handle it(hopefully it's used to being handled already)

·
Registered
18,536 Posts
Thanks DumbBlonde, just learnt a new word in english 8)

Skittish - Unpredictably excitable

Great stuff, I wish I knew all these peculiar words to make me feel a native speaker :(

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would be more inclined to getting a hatchling myself mate, as watching them grow is quite fun, you know? so your son will appreciate it and will enjoy the responcibility... you could go for a hatchling and although they are quite skittish, they calm dwn in a matter of weeks of handling, and perhaps you should handle the snake at the start and then hand him over to your son when the snake's calmed down.

About 3-4 weeks in the house, the snake will be clam as u like, he just needs regular handling and also he needs to know you won't eat him! anyway mate, enjoy, and look up care sheets, good luck! hope this helped.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hey I would get a hatchling in your place, they do move a bit more then older snakes but you learn more from having a baby to an adult to having just an adult. You can keep your snakes first shed of skin and compared it to another one it might have a year later. :D

To be honest corn snake hatchlings aren’t that bad, I have held quite a few and they just settle down if you just take your time you can get a hatchling to act like a adult!

The only thing with a hatchling is that you really have be careful with his viv, they are Masters of escaping!

·
Premium Member
62,208 Posts
i find most people like to handle larger corns, but usually want to start with a smaller one to own as they like to watch it grow.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Id go for the one thats a year old, still got some growing to do & aint as skiddish as a hatchling :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts