Reptile Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just wanted to make this thread because I have a juvenile red phase ATB which is great with handling, but only when our of the enclosure, are GTPs the same as this, or a bit better? I'm aware of the fact that they're both classed as generally aggressive species, but if you had to pick one for the temperament, which would it be? Only asking because I'd like to get a GTP in the near future so need to know what to expect! Any advice will be muchly appreciated!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
It totally depends on the individual snake. Arboreal species like these seem to be very cage defensive where they will strike out if u go near but once out calm down a lot. You can tame it out in most cases with some work but I'd expect to get bitten by either species. Both also have a very strong feeding response which is mistaken for aggression especially at lights out. From my limited experience I'd say amazons are probably slightly more aggressive but again it depends on the individual animal. You could buy an absolute puppy or a demon snake who will never stop trying to kill you one bite at a time ive seen both examples with both species. Just be prepared to get bit or struck at by either one and don't worry too much a bite from either is never going to be too bad.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Agreed. It all depends on the individual snake, although some species are more nippy than others. I have had ATBs that were perfectly trustworthy, even though they are known to be a nippy species. GTP's should not be approached after dark, however, during the day CB GTP's are generally fine once they get to about a year old. Captive 'farmed' from Indo are pot luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, so when you said that GTPs that are at least a year old are fine, are you implying that the hatchlings aren't to be handled?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, so do you have any chondros that aren't viv defensive or are they just good to handle when out of the viv?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that's much better than my ATB. Although she's NEVER struck at me, every time I open her enclosure she's as confrontational as anything, so I just have to let her come out in her own time, is this the wrong thing to do, or should I tolerate getting bitten a few times in order to make her a bit more docile?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I always just let my girl come out in her own time. She's nosey enough. Otherwise good luck trying to get an ATB off its perch, not to mention the stress you put the snake under.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Thanks guys, so when you said that GTPs that are at least a year old are fine, are you implying that the hatchlings aren't to be handled?
hatchlings universally are generally more aggressive than grown up snakes regardless of species because they are tiny and we are huge and scary. its instinct. however in the case of GTP its not recommended to handle young snakes mostly because they are incredibly delicate with easy to damage spines and a tendancy to cling to anything you can risk hurting the animal. its why they are not sexed until over a year.

·
Banned
2 Posts
You can tame it out in most cases with some work but I'd expect to get bitten by either species. Both also have a very strong feeding response which is mistaken for aggression especially at lights out. From my limited experience

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think it was Montage Morphs who pointed it out, Im in total agreement for what its worth.

All my Chondro's (GTP) except one are fine in or out of the viv and usually you can tell before you open viv, what mood there in ....ALL ARE VERY PREY DRIVEN !! Wash hands BEFORE and AFTER handling to ensure NO prey scents are present or you will be bleeding LOL

After dark is hunting time and even late afternoon so I dont open or go near vivs after lights out unless its feeding time

My big Jayapura female is a real demon most of the time...and will strike at the glass in daylight if disturbed ....I just finished bathing her with a friend on hand just in case any nasty mistakes happened. I use gloves to grab her and restrain her but after we helped her get the dried shed from her head/eye caps she was 100% calmer....so I risked it and took the gloves off.....she was as good as gold but very alert to movement so I let her sit on me for a bit then popped her back in the viv.....shes resting now but it will be interesting to see her response to me in the morning !

She may want revenge :devil:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts