Reptile Forums banner

Which Thermostat?

742 views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Ceiron 
#1 ·
Im looking to get one/two thermostats for my Royal and Water Dragon.

I need the thermostat to control ceramic bulbs during both the day and night. After speaking to a shop and also reading an advert on ebay they both recommend a Pulse thermostat. After looking at prices the Pulse thermostats are DOUBLE the price of a 'normal' on/off thermostat. I understand the differences in both, which reflect the price, but is this really a necessary expenditure?

Basically, will a normal thermostat work fine with ceramic heaters or do i NEED to buy the Pulse one??

Also the ones i have looked into are Habistat ones, so if anyone has any better suggestions i would be grateful.

Thanks.

#2 ·
I use a normal with ceramics.. have been for about 5 months now without any problems and a decent temp continously in the viv.. i needed it for 2 vivs and wasn't going to pay £100 for 2..

#5 ·
It probably does give the ceramic a longer life span with it not turning on off on off.. but although we want the best for our reps £100 is alot of money to do a job a £50 can do just as well.

#6 ·
GazEmm said:
Basically, will a normal thermostat work fine with ceramic heaters or do i NEED to buy the Pulse one??
Personally I would not use an on/off stat with a ceramic as they will have the stat. on full power until they cut out then switches it off. A ceramic heater gets very hot when on full power so there is a great danger of the temperature rising too high.
A Pulse is better as it only provides power in shot spurts.
You can get a Pulse (or Dimmer) on eBay second hand for the price you'd pay for a new Mat Stat.
Graham.

#7 ·
DraigGochHerp said:
A ceramic heater gets very hot when on full power so there is a great danger of the temperature rising too high.
I see your point, but surely if its connected to a thermostat then it will be cut off before the temperature rises too high? or do you mean ceramic heaters take a long time to cool down and even though no power will be running through them they may still be heating up the viv??

Also im not going to be getting a very high wattage ceramic bulb, no more than a 60w-80w as i only need them to top up and keep a steady temp during the day, and keep a nice temp during the night...will these still get too hot even at low wattages??

Thanks again for the advice.

#8 ·
Yeah I got a 60w bulb and on a on off thermostat it has never gone above 32 c which is what I wanted.. never had problems with it at all.

#10 ·
bulbs = dimmignstat

ceramics = pulse stats

heat mats = mat stats or pulse

on off stats ar ea stop gap measure i sue in emergencys but arent that good at contorlling any source long term.

as for cheap plulse stats, google cazoo and check out their selection of themrostats, made by different company btu as good and cheaper then habistat.

also saw a pusle stat on ebay for 30 quid last night.

as for lifespan and stuff.

using an on/off stat will destroy the ceramic eventually as it cuts on and off the elctricity abrubtly itnerupting the flow, it also uses more elcetricity, once a ceramic si setup running on a pulse it runs on very little electricty and very efficently, and also lasts for a long time.

#11 ·
GazEmm said:
do you mean ceramic heaters take a long time to cool down and even though no power will be running through them they may still be heating up the viv??
Yes, that's my worry although I don't have evidence to say it will be proved right in practice. The sensor at substrate level will cut out at a pre-determined temperature but the stat is still warming the air above although it's switched off as it's so hot. I suppose you can set the thermostat accordingly so that your maximum temperature is not exceeded. I'm obviously over cautious over such things but I think it's better that way.
Graham.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.