Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horsfield tortoise, Cooper, has white lines around his shell. Its the horizontal line separating his scutes. When its touched it feels slightly softer and seems to hurt him as he jumps!
What I hope to find out is whether its shell rot or just growth of the shell?
Any help is much appreciated..

Thank you
Becky

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Yep as Littlefoot says a few pictures would be helpful : victory:

Can you tell us a little bit more about the tortoise?

How long have you had him?
Where did you get him from?
How are you housing him?
What his hot end temp and cool end temps are?
What are you feeding him?
what supplements you use?
what source of UV do you have?

If you can let us know the above info and supplies us with a couple of pictures Im sure we'd be able to help. Also do you weigh him on a regular basis, and if so what sort of weight is he gaining monthly?

Ohhh and :welcome: to the forum as well :2thumb:

·
Registered
8,166 Posts
If you can see the white lines all around the scutes, then you could/are feeding far too much. With normal slow growth, these white lines can hardly be seen. You see them with over feeding, or a growth spurt.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Growth rings and perfectly normal make sure he gets a calcium and vitamin and mineral supplement.
My horsfield tortoise, Cooper, has white lines around his shell. Its the horizontal line separating his scutes. When its touched it feels slightly softer and seems to hurt him as he jumps!
What I hope to find out is whether its shell rot or just growth of the shell?
Any help is much appreciated..

Thank you
Becky

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive had him for about a year and a half now and got him from thetortoiseshop.com.
He lives indoors in an open tortoise table with a basking lamp and a UV lamp. Hot end is about 38 c, and cool end is room temperature because the heat from his lamp doesnt reach the other end of his house. He eats mixed lettuce, although not iceberg as i was told its no good fgor him, he eats cauliflour, carrots, parsley, corriander, cress, occassionally baby tomatos and apples, just mixed veg really...
I have calcium supplement but addmitedly havent been putting it on his food alot lately. He does have a cuttle fish bone in there too.

I cant seem to add a photo :s x

Thanks for your help x

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Hi there the veg,tomatoes and apples are really no good for him,You need to stop feeding these really hun.You need to feed him/her weeds for the most part,a few different salad leaves will be o.k now and then but he/she needs lots of different kinds of weeds.The growth is probably down to the wrong kinds of food and if you change now it will prevent bad shell growth for the future.

·
Registered
23,314 Posts
Ive had him for about a year and a half now and got him from thetortoiseshop.com.
He lives indoors in an open tortoise table with a basking lamp and a UV lamp. Hot end is about 38 c, and cool end is room temperature because the heat from his lamp doesnt reach the other end of his house. He eats mixed lettuce, although not iceberg as i was told its no good fgor him, he eats cauliflour, carrots, parsley, corriander, cress, occassionally baby tomatos and apples, just mixed veg really...
I have calcium supplement but addmitedly havent been putting it on his food alot lately. He does have a cuttle fish bone in there too.

I cant seem to add a photo :s x

Thanks for your help x

You can use photobucket to add pictures to here if you go into google and make a photobucket account - its pretty easy, even I can do it! :lol2:

Sounds like you have nearly everything pretty much sorted. If you can reduce the temp down a little bit, to 30-32 degrees, 38 is a bit too high for him. You should be able to do this by moving the light up a little bit.

Diet wise he shouldnt really be having any fruit or veg - their natural diet is weeds and flowers, things like dandelions, plaintains, forget-me-not, lavatera, bindweed, honeysuckle flowers, rose petals, sticky bud, speedwell, campanula - if you have a look at the top of the page you'll find a sticky (post) called Safe plants and it'll give you loads of great ideas in there on what to feed him. :2thumb:

Weight gain should ideally be 2 - 4gms per month, anything over that and you're overfeeding really and it can lead to health problems for them in the long-term. Weigh and measure him on a monthly basis and it'll help you work out whether you are overfeeding him a little bit.

Supplement wise - use Nutrabol daily when you feed him plus cuttlefish/bone and some limestone flour in his enclosure for him to nibble when he wants to.

During the summer months does he have a nice safe enclosure/penn for outdoors? I often find mine lose a little weight when they first go outside as they've so much more room for stomping about in. I tend to only feed 4 or 5 days a week and not every day as I was conscious of the fact I was overfeeding. In the wild they could quite easily go a few days without finding food - as long as they're hydrated they're fine :2thumb:

Hope some of that helps lovey : victory:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts