Reptile Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after telling me I can't have anymore pets my land lady has changed her mind and agreed that another snake wouldnt cause any issues ... it's not like it's going to chew through the electrics!

I'm looking around for my next snake and I am very interested in white lipped pythons. I've been researching rather alot on the internet but there is so much conflicting information I would really appreciate any information keeper who have had them/still do.

I am looking for information on all aspects of husbandary, how big they grow and expected life span? Any information on behaviour and if you have photos (especially of adults) i would appreciate if you could upload them!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I keep mine at about 30-32c and they need a relatively high humidity, and i use a large water bowl over the heat source and that works for me :)

Oh and heres a photo of my male he's an '07 and just under 6' but this photos a little old.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
These are nice and very rewarding snakes to keep. They are however, very skittish and most will readily lash out and bite. Whilst my fella is OK once in hand he will dart around the viv at 100 miles an hours if I as much as even touch his tail. They are a very very nervous snake and like to be be left to their own devices. They are easily startled and I imagine stressed. Great eaters though and never say no to food.

Life span probably typical of any python in terms of perhaps 15-20 years.
Humidity on the up side at all times as they are partial to RI and having poor sheds otherwise.

A beautiful display animal.

Plenty of pics in the pics section on here.

·
Registered
271 Posts
white lips

i have a juvenile pair and out of all of my snakes they are definately one of my favourites. they certainly have both character and attitude. my male is aggresive and unpredictable even to the point where he would launch out of the rub. the female on the other hand is the opposite friendly handleable but still inquisitive and not to be 100% trusted. they are quite clever snakes will watch everymove you make and are alert. mine never miss a feed and i have never had any problems with them. they need to be kept apart if you was thinking at any time of getting 2 because they will fight each other. they need to be kept quite humid i have a large water bowl with them spray them once everyother day and keep them on the orchid bark. temps around 28-30C hot end 26ish cooler end. they only reach around 6-7 feet as well. i would say white lips are beautiful snakes not for the beginner but for a slightly more experienced keeper they will be a brilliant addition to their collection, easy to care for very hardy and in my opinion one of the best looking pythons around.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I keep mine at about 30-32c and they need a relatively high humidity, and i use a large water bowl over the heat source and that works for me :)

Oh and heres a photo of my male he's an '07 and just under 6' but this photos a little old.

Thats a beautiful Northern, congrats on it's condition.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to everyone for the responces. The more I read/hear about these snakes the more I want one.

Kellogg he is stunning! Love the fact they look better as they get older!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Piccies from a few months back

love this goofy shot :lol2:

This fella is now the property of caffers aka Helen but I do miss him. :(
One of those snakes I wish I never had to part with.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oakelm - he is absoultely awesome!

Does anyone know of any breeders that have or are expecting new hatchlings anytime soon? I want a CB11.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Piccies from a few months back

This fella is now the property of caffers aka Helen but I do miss him. :(
One of those snakes I wish I never had to part with.

He misses you too mate :2thumb:

Hes a lovely fella and I'm very happy with him...dirty boy is still spilling the white stuff every time he comes out to play!!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
I'd post some pics if I wasn't stuck in a grimey dive (this is the best i can describe it without infraction causing expletives) of a Travelodge in Edinburgh with only a mobile phone connection to the interweb...glad to see the love for the whitelips though! :D

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Oakelm - he is absoultely awesome!

Does anyone know of any breeders that have or are expecting new hatchlings anytime soon? I want a CB11.
Cheers, Caffers (quoted below) has a fair few wlp's now and think breeding is being attempted this year :2thumb:

He misses you too mate :2thumb:

Hes a lovely fella and I'm very happy with him...dirty boy is still spilling the white stuff every time he comes out to play!!
:lol2: king of the erm... gunk:whistling2:

·
Registered
848 Posts
Try this site,hope it works 'cause i'm crap with IT and i usually cock up,lol.

http://leiopython.de/index.html

I would not reccommend this species as a pet snake if thats what you are after.

I've not been on the above site for a while,but an interesting fact i learned from it and from first hand experience is how vocal they are(HISSY),and how this can be interpretated as RI by the layman.Very confusing,and obviously a worry(and costly vets bills)differentiating between which is which,unless you know you've got your set-up spot on and the animal/s is in prime condition.

Still,a very rewarding and captivating beast to care for.

Later Gator

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.