Reptile Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about a year maybe two i had 3 whites of a friend that couldn't look after them anymore. they were only young so i had to keep them in a separate tank from my original one. as they grow i put them all together. the thing now is 2 have grown loads and there is still one thats the same size as when i got it (thought it maybe a male). not been a problem before but today he has gone down hill loads. can't get him to eat so i've taken him out and put him in a small tank with paper towels and heat mat. any idea what could be wrong with him? why wouldnt he have grown?

·
Registered
190 Posts
I wouldn't worry for now. They are like people, they grow and change very differently from others of the same species, and even age. Good call sticking him in the seperate container. Keep him there for about a week or two. Good luck, and keep me updated

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for reply.
about 3 days ago he went all sunken now he's bloated out loads. his skin has gone patchy too. its very strange.
bad photo, but can you see the lighter skin

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
oh thats wierd, sorry i didnt notice this thread!! Although Mihogan is right that all whites are different, advice i gave him myself! hehe i do think that when 1 frog is behving so differently from the others that its best to look for an answer. Mine sometimes get wierd patch of bright green but itll go away by the next colour change, they almost look like green bruises dont they!! Mine have never had as many as that though? odd.

As for the sunken skin, the only thing that rings bells for me is perhaps dehydration? do you dechlorinate the water (or use spring water)? what are the temps and do you use a mat or lamp? Ive read that lamps can be drying for frogs so could it be that he spends more time under it than the others?

I hope he perks up soon, you;ve got him on the right track by separating him, you can make sure he;s eating etc then. He may just have been outcompeted by the others before? If in doubt, pick up some mela-fix its supposed to be very good for sorting frogs out.
good luck and keep me posted

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cheers :smile:
it wierd cause he's been on the floor for days, i honestly thought he'd lost his stick but today i went in and he's stuck to the wall again whoopie.
i used to dechlorinate the water but when i moved house i had to just use normal water and have done since. (since april). i use a heat mats.
3 or 4 days ago his whole back end sunk but yesterday he looked bloated. although i'm not AS worried now cause he's climbing again. just need to keep an eye on him.

·
Registered
190 Posts
My Teacher, Art Gecko!

Lol Art Gecko! Yes, its true. Everything I know about White's is from her!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
my sisters frog went like thi, and the vet gave her some antibiotics for it.

He picked up alot in the 3 days i was medicating him, but as soon as my sister "forgot" to do it every day he went downhill really quick

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for replies. he's actually picked up loads now. yipeee:smile:

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Mihogan: haha thats cool it just made me smile is all!

Basky: Thats awesome, if i were you i'd keep him separate still and i personally always dechlorinate the water, it builds up apparently. Who knows!!! keep us updated with the little man!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah will do cheers

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
he's picked up loads but i can't get him to eat. he isn't thin tho so im not panicing yet. he shed yesterday to so maybe he'll start eating again.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
glad to hear it, he will eat when he is ready Im sure. Can you use anything like Avi pro plus with reptiles to boost their gut flora and encourage them to eat?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
don't no, im not overly keen on using un natural products on reps. :smile:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts