Reptile Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My girl Kinky has been in shed awhile... I always keep a close eye as when she sheds she needs a bit of help getting it off round her tail where it is kinked. I noticed she has now got this strange white ring around her eyes on both eyes... not the best pic as she is moody! She has been behaving normally, eating pooing etc. Oh the white sparkly bits all over the pic are just my camera playing up... the old one does that sometimes.

Does anyone know what this is? I tried looking it up but only found retained eye caps as a cause but it looks nothing like this. Plus, her last shed was complete (excepting the tail)

·
Registered
572 Posts
I've noticed this on two of my adult carpets, one about 3 months ago and one this week. I was told this can be due to mites, last time this happened I sprayed everything with callingtons 1s a week for about a month and I'm currently doing it again now. Not saying this is the problem as I haven't noticed any mites, but the problem did disappear after about 2 weeks, could have been mites or it could have just solved itself. Try callingtons and see if it has any affect.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've seen similar rings around the eyes of some garter snakes. It doesn't seem to have been anything significant, and nobody has any answers when it comes up on the garter forum. Best guesses are that it is something environmental as there's a couple of keepers in the States with offspring from the same litter and one keeper doesn't have any with rings around the eyes and the other keeper sees them on most of his. It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the dots are just the camera peeing around... they are not really there

her last shed was ages ago... it only came up recently. Its hard like dried up skin

Ill get her down the vets to check up but was wondering if anyone else had seen it?

Her conditions are the same as they have always been. :/

·
Registered
203 Posts
If that was a human and you went to the GP they would be prescribed chloramphenicol antiobiotic eye drops as the GP knows that the most common cause of that type of skin lesion is Staphylococcus aureus and the lesions would probably be secondary to a sinus infection. Thats over kill and the better way is to try saline and if that dosnt work brolene but try telling the gp that!!
If that was my carpet i would be tempted to try putting some salt water into a cup and then mixing it with boiling water to melt the salt into solution(1 part salt to 10 parts water). Then soaking a towel in the solution and letting snakey rub the affected area over it. If it is a staph infection then doing that twice a day for a few days should clear it...(obviously let it cool)

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will have a try on that ... thank you :)

cant get an appointment til tues at the vets as the rep vet is away

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If that was a human and you went to the GP they would be prescribed chloramphenicol antiobiotic eye drops as the GP knows that the most common cause of that type of skin lesion is Staphylococcus aureus and the lesions would probably be secondary to a sinus infection. Thats over kill and the better way is to try saline and if that dosnt work brolene but try telling the gp that!!
If that was my carpet i would be tempted to try putting some salt water into a cup and then mixing it with boiling water to melt the salt into solution(1 part salt to 10 parts water). Then soaking a towel in the solution and letting snakey rub the affected area over it. If it is a staph infection then doing that twice a day for a few days should clear it...(obviously let it cool)
I dont mean to be inflammatory but this information is really not correct. I dont think there is much evidence that the snake has a s.aureus conjunctivitis (not sinusitis) and I'm not sure what soaking it with saline would do anyway. There is a possibility that the cause is conjunctivitis but there is no way to tell which bug would be causing it without swabs.

id be inclined to see a vet before you try anything, I have as mentioned before seen this in carpets with mites so have a good look for them.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill wait to see what they say then :)

I have had a good look for mites, but cant see anything at all but mebbe the vets can find something I cant

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finally solved the issue... poor girl does indeed have mites. I found some in her eyes and there seems to be some on her body but terribly difficult to see in her black markings. Have removed her to a rub on paper towels after giving her a bathe and there are loads of dead mites in the bottom of the white paper. Will start treating her now. Is it worth treating my others as a precaution? None of my corns or my royal show any signs... and quite a few are white or pale bellied so easy to see! and only Kinky was on orchid bark, the others have totally different substrate. I can only assume it has come from the orchid bark as the back was kept in a shed for a while. I rarely handle her (she hates it!) and she is in a compltely seperate enclosure so I hope no one else has caught them!

Poor girlie, must be really uncomfortable!

·
Registered
522 Posts
finally solved the issue... poor girl does indeed have mites. I found some in her eyes and there seems to be some on her body but terribly difficult to see in her black markings. Have removed her to a rub on paper towels after giving her a bathe and there are loads of dead mites in the bottom of the white paper. Will start treating her now. Is it worth treating my others as a precaution? None of my corns or my royal show any signs... and quite a few are white or pale bellied so easy to see! and only Kinky was on orchid bark, the others have totally different substrate. I can only assume it has come from the orchid bark as the back was kept in a shed for a while. I rarely handle her (she hates it!) and she is in a compltely seperate enclosure so I hope no one else has caught them!

Poor girlie, must be really uncomfortable!
I would treat all of them, mites just go out the vents and into your other vivs.
ive noticed a lot of people getting orchid bark and receiving mites with it too!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
prob best then! horrible things ... and poor girl makes me feel guilty! Ill ditch the rest orchid bark too

·
Registered
729 Posts
The mites can travel a much further distance than you would imagine!
Best to treat all of them just incase, otherwise they will just come back.

There are many threads on here about how to treat snakes for mites, I personally use callingtons on any new addition i get in quarantine just incase they come with them.

I have picked up mites once before with aspen from a pet shop, I now put any packs of substrate I buy in the freezer for a week before I use it. Not sure if that helps or not but I've not seen a mite since.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
after one treatment she is already looking much better round the eyes though she hates me more than ever!

also now treating 20 snakes fun lol!

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
. I can only assume it has come from the orchid bark as the back was kept in a shed for a while.
Mites do not just appear out of thin air. Nor do they eat wood!!
They are not a native bug to the UK, they cannot just live outside with all the other bugs.

In fact keeping substrate in your shed for a while is more likely to make sure any mites that may have hitched a lift from the shop have died off as there is nothing for them to live on.
They don't live very long anyway but they do require snakes to live on or they starve. Hence no snakes in the vicinity they can walk to, they die.
There is no need to throw the substrate away.

It's more likely you have brought them home on your clothes.

If you use something like callingtons you will need to treat all of your collection but you can leave the snake in it's viv as it treats all the decor as well.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ah that would be great... I have boiled all wood, hides bowls etc for all but at just using paper towels and hides ... as little stuff as poss as a just in case. Strange that Kinky was affected as I rarely handle her... weird

but thanks for all help : victory:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts