Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right well im gonna plant my sisters whites treefrog tank. She's been wanting to do it for ages, and shes on holiday at the moment so im gonna do it as a surprise.

Just wanted to know, what sort of plants. Is it the same as dart frogs, like ferns, bromeliads, mosses etc

cheers

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah pretty much, i just look for thinks that will hold there weight as they are little fatties.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i know.

hers is bloody huge, all it does is eat and sleep.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah that sounds about right

·
Registered
190 Posts
ew dont they beat and creep! not eat and sleep! get it!

·
Registered
219 Posts
hey,

theres the 'rubber plant' - a house plant you can get from B&Q for about a fiver... Has big flat strong leaves for chubby whites to lounge & sleep on. I think most plants are safe from the Ficus family.

Post some pics when its all done wont you?!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
The rubber plant is toxic i believe. its on almost all lists i have of no go areas. As a general rule, and plants that are sappy when the wood is cut, or have very waxy leaves should be avoided. as you most common flowering plants (except ones like broms) such as geraniums, cyclamen etc. The ficus family is actually a funny one, as to my knowledge all species have high levels of oxalates, which can be lethal if ijngested (i.e. by crickets then passed onto frog) some so bad that even just contact can irritate. I've seen just as many toxic lists name ficus (most commonly used is probably creeping fig) as bad, as i have seen them said to be ok, so i steer clear.

You cant go wrong with bromeliads and Dracaenas, and they both look fantastic and are pretty hardy if you choose the right spp. for our conditions! look for Bilbergia spp, they're really hardy, and that spirally bamboo they sell that roots in water is actaully Dracaena sanderina and is super hardy and cool looking too! Airplants (Tillandsia) are very good for vivs as you only need a dab of aquarium silicone and a piece of wood or rock and you're away.

·
Registered
219 Posts
toxic? really? wow. thats amazing, since through all the research I carried out on making sure the plants I choose were non toxic to my whites, ficus was frequently mentioned to be a very safe option!

Amazing how this hobby can be so damn contradictory at times.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Same with Pothos, very high oxalates. you really need the binomial name to be able to see if a plant is truely safe. Maybe what they call a rubber plant and the normal rubber plant is different? i hope so!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts