Reptile Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
your set up looks cool lots of height but id like to bring afew things to your attention looks like you've used a fish tank to house your white' does it have any ventilation?? if not maybe you could try find some fine grade chicken wire and adapt your lid abit also what percentage UV tube do you have?
And finally you say you've made Splat a swamp although that may look nice its not ideal for whites who like around 50% humidity how often are you thinking of changing your moss as i can see it getting abit slimey and being abit unhygienic whites need a clean space to live like all herps.

hope you dont think im having a go bout it im not im just trying to ensure your whites its being kept correctly how long have you splat?

nice looking viv though dont get me wrong xx

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the top is well ventilated and it achieves the required humidity.

the spagnum moss is easy to keep clean, just comes out and gets washed and can be reused.

or will just be changed, it does last ages anyway.

uv is an old 2.0 i think, its jsut to regulate day cycle that all an is behind plastic so has no real uv effect

·
Registered
83 Posts
well of fair enough i personally dont think that your frog has a very good standard of life then not wanting to offend you like but thats my thought on the matter all 6 of my whites' are offered an area that they can receive the benefits of a 5% uvb bulb also i have a basking area for my whites which after much thought im sure they enjoy it i have a 40w red bulb for night time viewing is also offer a large clean water bowl that i change daily as whites are very sussectiptable to dirty water and unclean living space spagnum moss is absolutely pants i've tried using it on numerous occassions and its lame i prefer coco husk aka forest bed its 100% passable if swallowed and it holds humidity very.

All i can say is you carry on if it works for you wouldnt catch me using a fish tank for a frog bit shady really but hey its only a frog who cares err yeah not you by the looks of it

happy christmas

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
Hooden_vixen please try and keep your comments constructive, things like "but hey its only a frog who cares err yeah not you by the looks of it" are not helpful - we are here to help others remember :wink:

For what its worth Ceiron your setup looks nice to me, and I think sphagnum moss is bloody useful stuff :lol:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
hi Ceiron nice set up, i often use converted fish tanks for my frogs as there is usually water involved and malamine vivs just fall apart. i've had my whites for 7 years and they are kept on moss and i've never had a problem with it. :D

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol interesting reply,

in regards to uv, they dont need it, i dont know any breeder who uses it with them, pollywog is prolly the biggest uk breeder and has years fo experience and multiple staff and he doesnt

and so it doesnt affect the frog either way

as for basking, he can actually climb into the top black lid where the uv sits and bask next to it

so maybe check facts before opening mouth

he has this top area that is dry warm and lit to bask, has a hammock near then top, the branches, the stone platform then damp moss thats compacted so is like wet grass and then a bti he can swim in, as he does like to swim.

so yeah, funny reply really.lol

unguarded bulb = burns imo

and red light bulbs just so you can view is selfish imo

messes up heat light pattern too

as for coir as its proper name is, i did use that but it goes soggy and yucky very quickly in thsi case i find and so doesnt last long, whereas moss does

i suspect your moss isnt proper sphagnum if it goes off

as for feeding, splat hand feeds so erm cant accidentally ingest anything.lol

its not actually a fish tank either, it was built for the frog and has a dividing part in the middle so one half can be filled with water and the other with a dry substrate.

so erm tears you apart :roll:

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
lol nice one

·
Registered
83 Posts
ha ha ha yeah course sorry i didnt reaise all you people are whites experts ha ha makes melaugh so it does carry on children ha ha ha ha ha im very suspicious when people think that any captive bred animal needs no uv there are so many studies going on at the moment that are saying they do to promote healthy bone growth, and as far as me making comments i'll say what i feel fit thanks dont think your comments back will hush me vause its not the case so crack on love eat your heart ot ha ha ha

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK firstly i replied to your post saying nice viv etc and i asked you afew questions then when i read your post back i was annoyed at how much ignorance is shown by your set up and relaxed reply.

My vivarium is all glass with a mesh top its an exo terra one i find it works well i have my 5% uvb bulb and the basking bulb is OUTSIDE the viv it all sits nicely on top and i do believe that whites require a certain amount of uv exposure hence the reason i have given them a 5% bulb as far as the red 25w bulb that is set to come on after midnight i believe that it adds an extra subtle supply of heat accomplied by a low wattage heatmat on the outside of the viv polystene backed to keep the heat in i use an external hygrometer i test it every second night and the temperatures humidity that is read is always constant from night to night.

I find it amusing when other peepz pop up saying blah blah blah everyone ha there own way as regards to keeping herps my way works for me and my frogs are happy and healthy and your way works for you as i would imagine your way works for you and your frog is happy suppose we'll have to agree to disagree im not after a slagging match if i was id have one with someone face to face not on ere so let it be at that sorry if i was attacking with my post im a strong minded and opinionated bitch ha ha i luv it laterz xxxxxxxxxx

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
hooded_vixen said:
im very suspicious when people think that any captive bred animal needs no uv
Shows what you know... so stop being a troll, im fed up of reading posts where you get nasty claming you know it all and noone else knows squat.

For anyone else, i hope you find these interesting.
From actual scientific studies into UV exposure in amphibians...

As part of an overall decline in biodiversity, amphibian populations throughout the world are disappearing. There are a number of potential causes for these declines, including those related to environmental changes such as increasing ultraviolet-B (UV-B) radiation due to stratospheric ozone depletion. UV-B radiation can kill amphibian embryos or can cause sublethal effects that can harm amphibians in later life stages.
some species more able to cope with exposure to UV-B than others. Unfortunately, the defense mechanisms of many species may not be effective against increasing persistent levels of UV-B radiation that have only been present for the past several decades due to human-induced environmental damage. Moreover, we predict that persistent UV-B–induced mortality and sublethal damage in species without adequate defenses could lead to changes in community structure

We review studies including laboratory and field approaches on damage to amphibians from UVB exposure. Field studies in which embryos were exposed to natural sunlight or sunlight with UVB removed have shown conflicting results: some show increased embryonic mortality after UVB exposure, whereas others show that current levels of UVB are not detrimental to amphibian embryos
Field experiments have been used with increasing frequency to investigate ultraviolet radiation as one of the potential factors contributing to these declines. Results from field experiments illustrate that hatching success of eggs is hampered by ultraviolet radiation in a number of species, while other species appear to be unaffected. Continued mortality in early life-history stages may ultimately contribute to a population decline.
I have also read that high levels of UVB light (such as that given out by your bulb) can damage eyesight of nocturnal species

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
:D thats an interesting read.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Thanks i thought so, its interesting to see the contradictions between most peoples thoughts that giving an animal everything you can in captivity (i.e. Strong uv bulbs) and what they naturally recieve in the wild arnt't always good! I personally have a small UV bulb that emits a low level of UV over my whites tank, but its mainly for the plants and nowhere near the level of most of the reptile bulbs people use for diurnal species.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
yeah i use one as well but mainly for the plants :D

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
hi all

i have 2 whites as u may have seen on one of the topics do i need a uv light or not ? i use one at the moment with a heat mat on the outside of my viv and everything seems to be going well they both are growing really fast! I just want a second opinion really thanku :)

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
its a personal opinion really. i use one and it doesn't seem to halm them. its up to you really.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts