Reptile Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there just wanted to say about this humidity problem with the whites' and the heat mat being inside on the floor of the viv and obviously the substrate is drying out, I have my heatmats stuck onto the side of my vivarium with a sheet of polysterene on the outside securely selotaped on (this stops the heat from escaping out the back and concentrates the heat back into the viv, i have positioned silk plants with sucks on on the inside of the vivarium on the same side as the heatmat is placed when this is misted (sprayed with a plant sprayed) the humidity levels increase quickly and maintain for adquate time i recommend misting twice daily, I alos have an Exo terra waterfall with a fogger which i have set on a timer i only have it on for usually 1hour in the morning say 6.30am and again at 6.30pm it works well for the humidity levels in the vivarium but what ive noticed tends to happen is the waterfall needs topped up very frequently when the fogger is on can be abit of a pain. I also have an extra large waterbowl which must help abit with the humidity but to be honest i think it'll never be exactly what these frogs are used to in the wild we can only try our best to ensure they are as close as possible,

thanks for reading just felt like a rant as the humidity frustrates me at times its not rocket science its easy

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey

yeah i done that, i think it looks better too than a big ass polystyrene bit so i have popped it on the outside and just put a plant covering it, it looks better and has really helped it. the temp is stayed at 80 degrees and humidity is 50% constant so its worked. i have now got a new whites tree frog with them and he is sooo cool, he has an attitude, hes not use to eing sprayed with water, or his environment so when i do he croaks at me,hes sooo funny. he just walks and doesnt hop, he getson well with my other 2, but sadly he wasnt a girl. i want to breed them.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
humidity shoudl be at least 60% if nto a bit more. we do the same but we have aheatmat on bottom and back both with polystyrene

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi,

its cool to hear you have a new addition to your whites population what have you called him??

I've got my eye on a new whites' myself it came into the petshop on tuesday its a lovely aqua phase my two are bright green usually but never really blue like this new one im after think i'll keep my eye on it in the shop for abit then maybe bring it home and quaratine it for 2 weeks before i put it in with sprite and gargoyle incase its got parasites or something.

I could tell you a horror story i first had whites 3 years ago i bought a pair and then added a third they got on fine and shared the viv well one morning i got up and checked them as usual and to my shock one of them was dead i was well confused so i phoned my vet and had it autopsy'ed (or however you spell it) it had a parasitic lung worm that had eaten though its lung and into its blood stream, i was so disgusted to hear and the vet reassured me that it was through no fault of my own these lung worms take a long time to breed and must have been with the frog before i bought it, i went to the place i got it from and gave the fella grief to make it even worse my other 2 frogs died days later due to the same thing so it put me off keeping them for a year or so as yet ive had no problems with my 2 boys i have now but i dont wanna go adding a new viv mate without making sure its healthy first,

I have to boys aswell i was hoping i would have 1 of each but unfortunatly they are both boys hoping to get a girl myself, i've read that when choosing a whites' look under the chin to the area males have the loose skin that expands when they call usually a female's is much tighter but if the frog your after buying is a froglet or juvenile then its much harder to tell i think its luck ha!

i'm terrible for going on arnt i sorry x

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey,

yeah no that was interestin g hearing that, mine are all boys sadly so am eagewr for a girl!! they do fine at 50%, no signs of distress so thats fine for me. i have Flubber, Boris and now Freddy. haha. cool ass! they love it in there, they get on soo well. each of themn have their own corner or part of the viv.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can you help?

Hmm just bought a pair of these little fella's, both about under 2cm at the moment. how quickly do these lads grow? I have them in an 18*10*10 tank at the moment. This seems adequate as they are soo weeny, and cute. I have another 18*10*10 tank aswell so how quickly do I need to get the larger tank?( I have live food(small crickets & worms(powder) , underfloor heating , swimming pool (old rice carton from local chinese with multcoloued rocks and a larger one in the middle), using old pill bottles as a ready built hide for them, foliage (silk with sucker on).They seem quite happy, do I really need a fogger aswell?

As for names, Steve McQueen(he's an escape artist) and Silent Bob(doesn't do much apart from eat and stop in his hide).

·
Registered
57 Posts
hey,

these are the best guys ever, they dont really grow that quickly really, i had my two firstly in a tank that size and after 8 months i upgraded to a 45x45x60 or summit like that and have since added a a new one. thewy only need a fogger if your humidsitys not quite right, if you can control it then dont bother, it doesnt look all thaqt nice and costs a bit! ive just managed to get away from foggers with my humids levels.

what youve got them in is alright for a starter, you need hiding places and ideally they should get heat from all round them not just underneath. they need a good size swimming area as well, so as long as thier humid and temps are good and they got some hides their good really. crickets are fine.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
baby whites

hi its good to hear everyone's frog's are doing well, this message is really for the dude that just got 2 baba whites' sounds like you've got a cool little set up there but 2 things to help u out firstly as your whites are so tiny you only need a SMALL amount of water in your waterbowl as whites are not swimmers they are climbers they only use the water to soak in and some frogs like to defecate in there aswell, secondly you should move your heatmat and tape it on the side of the vivarium with some polysterene behind it to keep the heat in.

Whites dont grow extremely fast so you'll be fine with thr viv u have for about a year maybe you'll know yourself when u think they are looking like they need to move into a new house good luck with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info, I've improved the tank now. I'll get the new viv in the new year.(expense saved for now).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts