Reptile Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, I'm not saying that its 'advisable' to house beardies together, and its not something I would necessarily agree for a 'novice', but people are so quick to lay down the law about housing beardies together, the rights and wrongs, and 'have a go ' at people housing beardies together.
I have a male & female beardie. Bought together from the same shop where they where housed together, but supplied to the shop by 2 different breeders. They live together, have done since the day my hubby bought them home.
I guess I may be lucky as there has, so far, been no signs of aggression. They co-habit very well. Now I'm lucky enough to work from home, where I can keep an eye on them. I have a second set up ready for when the 'inevitable' happens, and if he gets to her before and she lays, the eggs WILL be frozen and binned. I'm not a breeder, I have NO plans to breed or make money. These are strictly my babies.
But before people bite each others heads off, maybe we should look at the bigger picture...

My male...

My female...

Together...

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Some get along some don't, goes with all animals during introductions can go right or wrong. I don't see why people say they shouldn't due to bad experiences they have had does not mean it should be the same for them all. Have seen some get a long, if your set up is correct providing a large basking spot, or multiple ones and enough food and space then they can get on just fine together. :2thumb:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some get along some don't, goes with all animals during introductions can go right or wrong. I don't see why people say they shouldn't due to bad experiences they have had does not mean it should be the same for them all. Have seen some get a long, if your set up is correct providing a large basking spot, or multiple ones and enough food and space then they can get on just fine together. :2thumb:
Indeed!
I've adapted my viv so there is 2 of everything.. Bar from the uv otherwise that would be too much, but it Is 3ft long.
Jay says I treat them as if they where human twins, well infact I have. They have nothing to argue about. My male is fed in the viv, my female is hand fed outside the viv as she only has one eye and struggles. There is 2 basking spots, 2 caves, 2 hammocks, 2 stones, 2 salad bowls, they share a water bowl and calcium bowl, but my male doesn't like getting his feet wet, and she doesn't self medicate so its all ok!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Not all dominance/aggression is obvious especially to someone that new to keeping them.

The breeding of the dragons is not an issue as breeding is normally good for the females.

The problem is the female always feeling threatened and being stressed out which results in a massive drop in appetite and also there immune system.

Don't mean to offend but I would advise separating them as soon as possible as it seems quite clear to me from the pics that the female is stressed.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not all dominance/aggression is obvious especially to someone that new to keeping them.

The breeding of the dragons is not an issue as breeding is normally good for the females.

The problem is the female always feeling threatened and being stressed out which results in a massive drop in appetite and also there immune system.

Don't mean to offend but I would advise separating them as soon as possible as it seems quite clear to me from the pics that the female is stressed.
What makes you say my female is stressed?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
What utter piss water.

Her beard isnt dark. Her colours are nice and bright. She looks well fed..
Thank you for that!
I do my very best for my animals. they pretty much live and eat better than i do! every single penny i own goes on my reptiles. Im constantly researching all ofvthem, learning new things, adapting things for them.

You always get one....!!!!!

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
What makes you say my female is stressed?
The main thing is the posture of the female with her head flat to the floor, this is what a dragon looks like when it is scared/stressed.

The other thing is the size difference the female obviously isn't doing as well.

Not saying she looks bad, they both look healthy but trust me the female will get on much better alone she isn't happy there.

What utter piss water.

Her beard isnt dark. Her colours are nice and bright. She looks well fed..
Not looking for an argument just saying it as I see it.

Maybe some other more experienced keepers will step in and agree with me but who knows. : victory:

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
The main thing is the posture of the female with her head flat to the floor, this is what a dragon looks like when it is scared/stressed.

The other thing is the size difference the female obviously isn't doing as well.

Not saying she looks bad, they both look healthy but trust me the female will get on much better alone she isn't happy there.

Maybe some other more experienced keepers will step in and agree with me but who knows. : victory:
Is one pic where the head is flat on the floor? :S as for the size, in most lizards females are smaller than males also.

This is an opinion of yourself and whoever else seems to agree with you as you say "experienced keepers". You are welcome to your opinion but does not mean that it is correct at all.

Georgia do what you think is right for your beardies,as long as husbandry is spot on the rest does itself pretty much as long as they are not been aggressive towards each other, If you want to see the results from what imginy is saying then you could seperate and monitor behaviours of them etc trial and error/testing.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

the pictures in which they are laying next to each other, where you say she has her head to the floor, she's infact fast asleep.
She's smaller, firstly because she's female and secondly she only has one eye which the shop i got her from didn't realise so she didn't get as much food from the start as what she should of. i separate them to feed so there is no competition. she actually eats more than he does. she doesn't stop eating.
You seem to think Im not an 'experienced' keeper. on what basis? because i house my beardies together?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I'm not sure you can ever call cohabiting successful until they all die from age related causes (not stress related or due to egg binding / injury from the other) although that would be difficult to ascertain. Morbid I know but that's how I feel.

I understand where imginy was coming from, and don't really understand some of the aggressive comments back. Posture is really important in reptiles and dominating / submitting, however pictures really give little insight into this. Same with size, it may be sex related but it may also be limited by dominance in many circumstances.

They do look healthy and I don't doubt that they are well cared for, I'm just glad that Georgia sees that there are risks and is prepared for that. In my opinion that is what counts in cohabiting (as does the usual viv size and resources) not just plonk them together and assume that they will always be the best of friends.

Reactions: dramen and micky0

·
Registered
677 Posts
the pictures in which they are laying next to each other, where you say she has her head to the floor, she's infact fast asleep.
She's smaller, firstly because she's female and secondly she only has one eye which the shop i got her from didn't realise so she didn't get as much food from the start as what she should of. i separate them to feed so there is no competition. she actually eats more than he does. she doesn't stop eating.
You seem to think Im not an 'experienced' keeper. on what basis? because i house my beardies together?
That was the first thing that came to my mind that she was asleep , but obviously she's stressed because they're together grrr ... :blowup::thumb:

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Mine have lived together for 3 years and are perfectly happy and healthy!
IMO it's a load of rubbish that they can't live together!!!

Reactions: CHATAfrog

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im not saying they are best friends and follow each other round the viv and its all rose petals and pixie dust, but every night they sleep side by side.
I know that they probably won't live til they are old and grey together, the other set up is all done, just got to switch the lights on and hey presto.
Im not some twerp that's gone oooooooh scaley pretty things let take these home and not bother to care for them properly. I've planned it all, i know the risks, pros, cons. they get the very best, and they are thriving under my care. when the time comes they will thrive separately, but right now it suits them both.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.